Thread: Siskiyou Stillwater

Default Siskiyou Stillwater

Just got back from Lake Siskiyou. When I fished it at the beginning of January, it was lower then last year, and last year was bad.
    On January 23rd, I checked the water level and it was only 8' from the high water mark, the next day I fished in some terribly cold and rainey conditions, but managed to get 4 fish before the rain, cold,& wind drove me off the water.
    The next morning, the lake was full, the sun was shining, and it warmed up to the mid 40's. The water in the main body was tea colored and it was like glass, and a chilly 41 degrees. Fished hard for a few hours before I found a cove with some clean water and lots of cold clear run-off water feeding the cove.
    I was marking some nice sized fish so I tied on a variation of a olive wiggle tail that I tied up the nite before using ostrich heel instead of chenille. Slow short strips gave it that seductive wiggle and wham! Bam! Thank you mam! And a big fish was gone. Tied on another olive wiggle tail and a few minuets later I got whamed again, this time I brought in a nice 22" Brownie. As soon as I got her into the floating net, she shook out my barbless hook. Failed to get a good shot as she was still a hot fish when trying to get her out of the net. Managed a couple of quick partial shots before she gave me the slip and went back in and swam off at high speed. The scenery and that one fish made my day! I can't wait to get back up there in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Rockman; 01-31-2016 at 05:41 AM.

Sorry, the photos did not load
    Houston? We have a problem.

Upload them to photobucket and share the link. Love to see a picture of your wiggle tail too.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Nice Report Rockman...It had to bee really cold on the lake...

The last day when it was like glass was in the mid 40's.