Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sage z axis 11' 5 weight switch rod

Default when is a skagit a skagit, or, the tale of the woeful Rio Flight

In the last post I mentioned the 575 gr Rio Skagit Flight, which has now shuffled off this mortal coil, but without presenting data. For a reason. It's pretty well known the Flight didn't have the greatest reputation for turning over big tips. [Thus that mortal coil thing.] Maybe if we define a "Skagit" to be the "Rio Flight", a "Scandi body" is, indeed, like a skagit?

Well, in the figure below, the top compares the "scandi body" with the "skagit flight". These two are starting to look a little closer, but, they are still noticeable different. But what about the SA scandi -- which didn't have as pronounced a taper as the Rio "scandi body"? That's in the bottom part of the figure. Gosh......that's spooky close. Which is skagit, which is scandi, what do these terms mean here?

To be clear, in my opinion this comparison mostly illustrates what an atypical taper, for what most people expect out of a Skagit head, the Flight was. Is it fair to say the Flight qualified as a Skagit mostly by virtue of being sold without a tip? Or by virtue of being more skagit-like than its Rio-scandi stable sibling?

In any case these comparisons show how much modern fly lines designs can converge. And this is far from the only example I've found.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sk_flight.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	11660

Troutless, my older Z-Axis 6 wt switch loves the 9 wt line I run on it. And my 5wt throws a 7-8wt Skagit short like butter........
    The Rio Atlantic Salmon taper is for two handed rods I'm pretty sure....not trying to send someone bad info.
    Line debate is endless, everyone has a different opinion about it, just sharing a guides perspective on what I use.
    I have never owned a micrometer nor will I be getting around to it.......I can generally either cast a line or not.
    Not into Scandi lines much so I won't weigh in on that.

The line is considered "freshwater" and suited for singlehand or spey.
    http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summ...-Steelhead.jpg

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-14-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post

The Rio Atlantic Salmon taper is for two handed rods I'm pretty sure....
    I agree this line makes a fine match for a light spey. And yes when I cast then on my light speys I upline 2-3 sizes. It's also a fine line for single-handed speycasting, if the caster can handle the head length. However, the line rating is a single-handed rating, meaning, rated by weighing the first 30 feet and matching to the AFTM table (e.g., 210 gr for an 8-wt). Here is the full table:

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...lmo-steelhead/

And a grab

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rio-salmon-weights.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	11673

I believe Rio used to quote the whole head weight for the SAS, which, since the heads are in the 50-foot range, is potentially fairly confusing, but that line was always rated as a single-hander and I am 99% sure the design intent was to match weight-to-weight on a single-handed rod.

The two-handed AFFTA standard has different weigh points (in length) so it is hard to make apples-to-apples comparisons, but for a given line rating they are generally heavier.

Troutless, my older Z-Axis 6 wt switch loves the 9 wt line I run on it. And my 5wt throws a 7-8wt Skagit short like butter........
    Like you said different people have different preferences in line feel. At the same time there are defined standards that are not ambiguous, and there is also the rather looser set of standards defined by how manufacturers label their rods. For the most part where two-handed lines and rods carry a rating the intent is to match them up, +/- one increment. I'm told by people who design lines that quite a bit of effort is put into determining the line ratings so they match a reasonably wide set of rods out-of-the-box. If, for whatever reason, you want to deliberately overline by going up three sizes, fine, but recognize that is what you are doing, and, with the possible exception of sustained-anchor casting, is not going to be a general recommendation. Likewise that much upline is putting the equipment much closer to its failure point. A 625-650gr skagit (typical 9wt rating) on a 6-wt switch is an awful lot of line, even more so if it is a "short". I personally would be very concerned about rod failure with a rig like that.
    Last edited by troutless; 02-14-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    That is the make of line I have that I tried on my 7/8 13' but wf9f will try on a 6wt switch. It was to much work for the 13'er, not sure now if I should go to a 10/11 in the same line, could I break my rod or even the switch with the 9wt?
    What line are you asking about, exactly?

OK....the 9 wt is 325gr. Must be single rating...
    The skagit max short is 500gr in a 7wt.
    Both work fine on the 6wt. Z...
    After digging the line out....my 5wt likes a 425 gr. skagit max short.
    If it was too much...I would have broken the rod years ago.....
    Have fun out there.

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    After digging the line out....my 5wt likes a 425 gr. skagit max short.
    So you've got around a 6wt line on a 5wt rod. Doesn't sound unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    I got the box out and it's a airflo not Rio but its an older delta spey salmon/steelhead 8/9wt
    An old Airflo delta 8/9? OK, so, what is the question? Should be possible on a 13' 7/8, generally I wouldn't go heavier -- assuming the rod is really a 7/8. Does require proper training & technique and maybe a little experience.

Gotta say- I've been fly fishing for a long time but new to two handed rods, and it's bewildering!

Most two handed fly rods today are pretty good......but you might need some help picking the right size for your first one.

Eventually, having 2 two handed fly rods is pretty standard.

Then you need to be very sure you have the right line on it.

The line we had even 10 years ago where just OK. Today they are fantastic coming in about 30 grain increments.

Then you need to get out with someone for some lessons.

Jeff Putnam, Doug Duncan and Andy Guibord are all in Sacramento and can give you a couple of hours of instruction down on the Lower American River for a reasonable price. Lots of us taught our selves how to cast a single hand fly rod, but not so easy with the two handers.

**Doug Duncan and Andy Guibord are usually always working together on Sundays at the shop. Stop by, bring in your two handed gear and get some free advise.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........