Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower American River - The Elephant in the Room 2016

Ummmmm Mark? Are you spawning with other board members?

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Ummmmm Mark? Are you spawning with other board members?
    Ahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact is, Jason is right. 800 cfs is still a trickle, and I would have preferred a closure until at least 1000. My preference is 2500+ in the winter, but after 4 years of drought we're not likely to see that anytime soon. IMHO, no ethical fisherman is upstream of the Sunrise Bridge at these flows, and the crowds at my favorite runs downstream are seeing crowds like I've never seen before (largely courtesy of direction from the shop, which I wish wouldn't happen, but they have to make a buck and at least it's a bit more honest water).

The irritation is warranted, and he's right, the flows remain dismal. My $0.02.

The problem is simple fish runs that don't look like spawning runs. Today I fished this run in the lower river and at the top of the riffle quite a few spawning steelhead. I know they're spawning because one swam by and it was all banged up and probably is going to die. It was a buck in the #10 +-. So when I saw this I moved passed that area and proceeded further down in the run where I saw a bright one come up. Didn't get anything though maybe tomorrow

But what I'm basically trying to say is with low water like what we are having steelies seem to spawn even in the lower river if they find the right gravel. So just keep an eye out for spawning fish and let them do their thing. But the upper reaches of the river does invite everyone and their mums to a snag fest pretty much hahaha!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    I wonder if C&R actually helps in population growth over long periods.
    It would if the river what more then what it is. Had this discussion with steelie26c3 a few years back. One of the issues is the size of the river. Only so much space to hold so many fish of different species. Now if there was access to more water then that would make a difference. It's like a fish tank you can't hold a million gold fish in a 50 gal vs a tank the size of a swimming pool let's say.
    Aron-

This is my first year swinging, and my first year on the American. At this point what do we need before we'll see the flows kick up again? How much more rain? Does the lake need to be at a certain level?

Folsom must get to the flood control level which I believe is @50% of the capacity. As of today, the Sac Bee reports the level at 41 %. At that point in time, it is common to see the releases match the flows coming into the lake.
    Looks like it's 59% as reported today in the news.
    Last edited by Terry Thomas; 01-28-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    Folsom must get to the flood control level which I believe is @50% of the capacity. As of today, the Sac Bee reports the level at 41 %. At that point in time, it is common to see the releases match the flows coming into the lake.

Thanks for that tidbit. Heavy rain this weekend. A guy on the river the other day was looking at forecasts in the bay and getting all excited because it was rainy out there. He was explaining to me the "sand bar" effect and how we need the rain out there so the flows will rise to allow the steelhead in. Is this true?

maybe on the Russan and the Klamath but not so much for the Sacramento because of the delta
    Correct. We don't have that issue in the valley unless there is no more water to let out from the lakes. But the north coast rivers most do have this problem.
    Aron-

maybe on the Russan and the Klamath but not so much for the Sacramento because of the delta
    That's what I thought to my self but figured I would ask.ty