Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower American River - The Elephant in the Room 2016

Unhappy Lower American River - The Elephant in the Room 2016

A good opener on the American? Things look dismal out there...

I understand Bill plays a role in the forums by keeping the energy up and trying to motivate anglers. But it's a little surprising that the dreadful flows of the Lower American have yet to be mentioned.

Swinging flies? Who needs a spey rod or even a switch rod to make a presentation in these runs? The runs are so skinny your rod length is wider than 99% of the runs holding fish. Worse yet, the steelhead are easily being slayed by nymphers and float fisherman because the steelhead are flying up river to spawning grounds and stacked up in the obvious runs/flows of water where the fish are holding. Do humans harass any other creature more while they are trying to reproduce...the spawning areas are obvious.

Sure the fish may be good size and the return numbers may be good, but for the fisherman on the American that enjoys walking into a well known steelhead run and blasting out cast after cast swinging a steelhead fly to get that grab on the swing using spey casts, its a sad season. The river is simply a trickle. Just pray the rains keep up and we don't see the Lower American like this again for a long long time.
    Last edited by Jason Monte; 01-23-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Agree with you partially Jason, but at least there are fish this year, which is good! I think Bill was simply suggesting there is a decent run so far this year.

I went over there a week or so ago, every "decent" riffle had 4-7 anglers casting into it. Saw some fellow get bored with that and he started to target the zombie salmon in the tailout above

Very sad from a fishing point of view for non combat folks, but what is the solution if the DWR is trying to fill the reservoirs? Tough one.

Take care,

I guess I have been just talking to the lucky ones?

We have had years on the opening month were nobody caught anything.

First off, only crazy people fish winter Steelhead and the real crazy ones swing flies.

I did hear some of our best LAR vets were not doing well but it's winter Steelheading.

This does not mean I would catch anything either.

Andy Guibord hooked 6 fish one day last week? Very uncommon event...

Andy said he went down a run ahead of Doug Duncan and got nothing, but Doug hooked 3, behind him.

Sorry, these guys are some of the best anglers I know so it's not a good judge of what's happening.

Remember, Andy is not married and is on the river more than most, either fishing or guiding or teaching.

**My best recommendation for swinging flies is to fish the middle Klamath River in October. Going with some K regulars or a good guide is better.

"Keep your fly wet"..........

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Geeze Bill, I think you missed the point.

I've hooked three landed two. All way up, not too far from sailor because the fish are shooting up river to spawn with the water being so low. But barely a cast is required. You just flip the fly and some line into the run in front of you and let it float down.

Please just go take a look at a few of the standard swinging runs off the Stream Time map Bill and see for yourself.
    Last edited by Jason Monte; 01-24-2016 at 08:53 PM.

This guy is a troll

Good points or not, it's pretty hard to side too closely with someone who posts negatively 4 out of 5 times...
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I like the flow to be at least 1,500 cfs for nice wade fishing but we have not had it.

It's finally up to around 800 cfs.

That should help.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I like the flow to be at least 1,500 cfs for nice wade fishing but we have not had it.

It's finally up to around 800 cfs.

That should help.......
    +1 I'll take 800 cfs over 500 all day long, but I would like even more!

Take care,

There are some riffles that are plenty wide with depths to 5 plus feet. Spey rods are not just for bombing long casts. It is only a style of fishing having its own rhythm. Fish lower and middle river ware the fish are passing through, not holding very long, and thus very hit and miss. I have had some days that were hits, but way more that were misses. My best day this winter was not 6 but 4 fish hooked and three landed. I spent the next 14 hours of casting without a grab before reconnecting with these scaly migrants. Personally I wish Fish and Game would close the upper river, (say from Sunrise to the hatchery), from November to April first like they use to in the late 80s and early 90s.

Spawners? Typically this time of year with fish close the shoreline regardless of flows they're doing their thing that you and I like to do