Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,
    Just got back from the Smith two weeks ago...fastest river to clear in California...crystal clear water and the biggest steel in the state. The Eel was brown on the way up and down. I can't believe they are even thinking of this. The Smith is my favorite river and I would hate to see it destroyed by some up river mining. Thanks for the video. Do you know where to write a congressman or some other point person?

Thanks,
    Beast

I just watched the 14 minute video "Eternally Wild" re the Smith River. The US Congressman in the video, Jared Huffman, can be contacted @ 707-407-3585 or 415-258-9657

The Smith is the most challenging of all the rivers I have ever fished for Steelhead. The fish are beautiful and strong, great fighters. Finicky, too, I might add.....

Spent my entire youth in Humboldt County. Walked to the Mad to fish. My home grounds. Yeah, I learned to fish dark water. Since I did not own a car, I walked to that river through my next door neighbor's dairy land. Those days. I remember them, and my Dad, an addicted golfer, ALWAYS was waiting to ask me how I did.

Caught steelhead on the Mad, 35 lb King on Freshwater creek at the tidal zone near the old Montgomery Ward's, caught half pounders on the Klamath at Blake's riffle. Fished at Hoopa Willow Creek. At that time the Eel had been wrecked by the big floods and the Van Duzen along with it.

But the Smith…..mythical. The stories about it. The whispers of its magical water and fish.

I never made it there. Borrowing my Dad's datsun truck was a no go for that long a trip.

That anyone would think of a doggone strip mine on this sacred river is sacrilege.