Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spey and Steel on the American R

That looks like a spent downer that took a egg.

My style is simple. I first start a run with just the mow tip if water allows because fish can be in close for sure. I then get the skagit head out and get that running through the water. Then (this is with a grip shooter I use) I inch my shooting line out one strip at a time until I have the skagit head with running line about 68ft of total line out. OR what every length needed (this is through smaller runs) to cover some good amount of water. I then go down a run and after every 20 ft of distance walked down river I will cast just the head with tip, then half of the running line then the full 68ft. But I'm always moving never had patience to stay in one spot. Always remember to keep an eye out for jumpers. These are the fish that decided to jump out of water This is a good indication that there are fish in the area for sure.

I call this the water combing because you literally comb every inch of water that you can to find them steelies. Oh and there will be times when you fish weeks with no fish. Flies Black and chartreuse, black and blue, black.... and so on for colors. Dark water you will want black in most flies either big or small. I like bigger flies because I feel it gives the fish a better view. All this given we fish with bait that has no smell like roe or worms do. So visual is what I can say a steelie will key in on.

As Andy posted playing with tips is another thing. Its why sometimes fishing with another buddy helps. This is cause one can go deeper and one can run near the top. One can run in closer one can run further out. This in my opinion will eliminate doubt that maybe a spot was missed. Oh and how many times I would go with a buddy and he would go first through a run and I would follow and end up sticking one. Or vise versa I would go first and he would come from behind and hook one. Or I would go first and hook one. You fish enough you see lots of odd things and well learn to from all the trips.

Hope this is of some help to anyone getting into this fun adventure
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I echo Andy's remarks.

If we actually knew how much time we put in per fish (not what we put on our Steelie Card) we probably wouldn't go.

I am also a proponent of covering water even if it has been covered before, and try to "two-step" it to cover water.

The Dec Hogan note about keeping the same amount of line out when casting is to ensure that you are covering a large swath of water in a consistent fashion (using the step down method).

Use whatever flies you have that you have confidence in, and don't waste time rigging when your fly needs to be in the water.

Be courteous to your fellow anglers; we're all out for the same thing, the strike!

And, please, please stay off the spawning beds.....

Grant Fraser

Grant Fraser

"Steelhead fishing with the fly is not about hooking lots of fish; it's all about the take and the show. Everything else is just icing on the cake." - Anon.

First day on the American today this year. Fished with two friends so it was all worth while. First cast had a grab but wasn't ready for it and lost her...thought it was going to be an epic day...but I always think its going to be an epic day. Fished pretty had...I always start close and work my way out...started out small with an egg and a nymph...finally got a hard pull after changing to a sculpin...fought for a couple minutes and while backing up into shallower water tripped on a rock...pointed the rod right at the fish and heard him laugh from three feet away...snapped the line and lost the fish...GOOD TIMES!!!!