Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spey and Steel on the American R

Default Spey and Steel on the American R

Long time reader, first post. I can generally pick a cold body of water and guarantee I'm going to catch a trout, and for that I decided to learn the Spey method and have a huge passion for Steelhead. I bought my rod last year and until this year is the first year I have had a chance to really get out and throw it. I've been on the American 4 times now this year, and think I had one on the other day for about 5 seconds, but never saw the fish. Just felt the tug and a little head shake. Gone. I've spent about 6 hours every time I have gone out, and love every minute of it. But that feeling of being unsure that I'm doing the right things and looking in the right places is killing me. People have told me it's about the confidence in the fly, and I understand that, but I feel like there has to be at least a little influence in the "correct" fly. What should I expect from steel head fishing on the American this year?

If you see a gentlemen in a bright as blue Patagonia rain jacket, that's me.

I'm on the same page as you. Just started swinging for stealhead and been out once. Swing throw super fishy ripples. Switched up flies a few time. Went to Kiene and talked to one of the guys. He said its not hard catching steelhead. You just gotta put it in front of them. So I'm guessing you gotta be there at the right time and place. I personally think color and size matter depending on conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukwithak View Post
    What should I expect from steel head fishing on the American this year?
    part of the issue is the water is so dang low. the steelhead are just running up as fast as they can to spawn and then probably heading right back out versus slowly staging their way upstream as they'd normally do. at least this is what i have heard...

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    part of the issue is the water is so dang low. the steelhead are just running up as fast as they can to spawn and then probably heading right back out versus slowly staging their way upstream as they'd normally do. at least this is what i have heard...

+1 and putting in time period. You have to be on the river to get steelies. Any given day they can be in a run or not. People ask and have pm'ed me here about where to go. I can not pick a spot and tell them here and you will catch. Low water tends to keep the steelies wanting to go up a lot faster then normal water years, spawn and go back down to the ocean. So covering lots of water is the trick.

Too many people go based off reports or what they hear that fish are being caught. Doing some in depth search you find that its bobber fly guy or gear with roe, crawlers and other smelly baits. Orrrr they are fishing near hatcheries where the fish naturally go stack up at. But to get away from the crowds you need to put in time yea sounds sucky but in my books I will take that over a crowed place or hatchery.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I've been reading Dec's book, he mentions in his video, once you have line out, keep fishing that same amount of line and step by step, literally, work across a section. Seemed like a lot of guys just hold the same spot. Is that due to the amount of movement the steel head are doing? I feel like covering water is best, but I'm new lol.

I like your questions, I'm right there with you, except I've probably had a combined 16 days over the last few years swinging without a grab. However this year is the first year I've had the luxury of getting out on the American on a weekly basis, before it was the Trinity. It's easy to hone in on the fishy runs, I'm curious to know if it's worth fishing the slower water below the run, if the theory of the fish pretty much always on the move, it might seem like a decent idea? I have to say though, I love the opportunity to get out there when its raining, very peaceful. If anyone's interested in fishing sometime let me know, I mostly do random afternoons/evenings during the week.

I think you've gotten some pretty spot on feedback so far in this thread, and Dec's book is very helpful. I would absolutely go with trying to cover the water, the more water you cover the more chances you have at putting your fly in front of a fish. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule; like say you've noticed a number of fish staging in a particular area of a run... probably worth at least another pass or two with some adjustments to your fly and your presentation.

As for keeping the same amount of line out, I don't think it's so much how much line you have out, per se, so much as that you're covering as much of the run as effectively as possible. In other words for some runs you may wish to lengthen or shorten your cast at some point as you work through it. Another issue to address is make sure you're actually fishing the cast well, too long of a cast can make the presentation much more challenging (particularly for someone newer to spey casting or swinging flies).

Finally, I wouldn't trust a word I just wrote too much... I'm still not entirely convinced there are steelhead in that river. I don't get to fish it a whole lot, but so far ... she's not been terribly kind to me. If I were closer I would certainly keep at it and fish it a lot more often. Try to enjoy the challenge, and the process, and don't expect a heck of a lot of catching for a bit.
    Good luck,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

February is usually a top month for winter Steelhead in many Nor Cal river, weather permitting.

March/April can be good for another run of smaller spring run fish too.

In the spring we have the water warming with some bug activity which makes these smaller fish feed more aggressively.

Try to go more often when the water is in good shape but for less time.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My advice is to fish a river that has consistent runs of steelhead. I put in several years on the American and it was hit or miss. On the Rogue if my timing is correct I can fish with the confidence that there are fish looking at my fly.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Smile

I fish for steelhead because it is not easy. I understand the frustration that many of you are going through while casting again and again for your first grab. Don't give up. The American does not get a big run of steelies, so you will work hard for them.

Today I fished with two close friends who have been fishing with me off and on for some years. I have been helping them with their spey techniques. What I can not teach them is to have confidence. Confidence comes with hard work, casting, casting and moving up and down the river, and of course finally catching a fish or two.

We were working a run this sunny afternoon. I was wading next to my friend Bill and giving casting suggestions when I sensed his frustration. He handed me the rod and asked me to cast for a while so that he could observe what I was doing. I was hesitant because we were in the heart of a good run. Ok, well I started to fish with confidence, not doing anything special other than casting, moving, cast, move.... and there it was- the grab. I landed the hatchery hen. I released her into a beautiful winter day.

Last week I was fishing with Doug Duncan. I fished with confidence that, bit by bit, eroded as he hooked three fish behind me after I swung through the same water, or was it the same water. I was swinging with a 10 ft type 4 tip, while Doug was swinging a 15 ft type 6. Was it the fly? Heck., Who will ever know.

Point is, fish and learn through trial and error. Ask questions. Cast again and again, fish a fly that turns you on, and change tips from time to time. You can buy knowledge. You have to earn confidence.

Last edited by Andrew Guibord; 01-21-2016 at 07:51 AM.