Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you wear with your fins?

Default What do you wear with your fins?

I fish pretty much exclusively from a float tube.

When I first got started, I wore stockingfoot waders with original (non-adjustable) Force Fins. I had two issues: my feet would ache from compression/rubbing/torquing, and getting in/out of the tube meant I needed to keep a pair of booties with me to walk around. (I have feet issues when I'm not fishing too)

I bought a pair of adjustable Force Fins and some bootfoot waders. I liked having a "shell" around my feet so that the fins weren't bothering them as much. The problem is that bootfoot waders aren't as common, and every pair I've had has leaked.

I also have a pair of Simms G3 waders (upgrade from Simms when I returned a leaking pair of bootfoots). I was thinking of using them with a pair of wading boots inside the adjustable Force Fins. I don't have any wading boots and I'm not sure they would fit well in the fins.

Any suggestions? What do you wear with your fins?

(I will eventually get around to bringing the G3s and the fins with me to a store to try with wading boots)

Mark
    Last edited by marks; 01-20-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Cabelas zippered felt sole wading boots w/ stocking foot waders. Light weight, easy on & off. Convienent when you need to take a walk. Inexpensive too. Fin straps hold in place on the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bstallings View Post
    Cabelas zippered felt sole wading boots w/ stocking foot waders. Light weight, easy on & off. Convienent when you need to take a walk. Inexpensive too. Fin straps hold in place on the boot.
    Thanks for the reply. I think you're referring to these. My step-dad has used a pair of these for years and swears by them. Are felt soles still kosher?

I'm interested in hearing what others are wearing too.

Buy a toon. Took me years to take the plunge, but now that I have, wish I had done it years ago. A toon is so much more versatile and you stay a heck of a lot warmer. I still use an occasional float tube but only on hiking lakes and hard to launch places for my toon. i just use an old pair of scuba fins pulled over my G3 Simms. 2 pairs of warm socks.

Quote Originally Posted by booneshaya View Post
    Buy a toon. Took me years to take the plunge, but now that I have, wish I had done it years ago. A toon is so much more versatile and you stay a heck of a lot warmer. I still use an occasional float tube but only on hiking lakes and hard to launch places for my toon. i just use an old pair of scuba fins pulled over my G3 Simms. 2 pairs of warm socks.
    I said "float tube" but I actually have a SuperCat. No rowing platform yet though. I still prefer to kick, at least until my body tells me otherwise.

I usually wander through the kayaking dept. of a sporting goods store and look for some inexpensive, low-rise booties. I just need something that creates the least amount of bulk around my foot and protects the feet of my waders. Also, the low-rise booties go on and off fast, dry quickly and pack small.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bootie.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	11627

I use ScubaPro JetFin flippers so 3/4 of my foot has to fit inside of the mouth of the flipper. That's why I don't want booties that create bulk around my foot. If you got the type of flipper where you strap your foot to the top of the flipper then size is less of an issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scpjetfin.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	11628

The cheap booties will fall to pieces eventually but you can probably get 2-3 seasons out of them before that.
    Last edited by loose_shoes; 02-08-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Finally able to upload pictures!
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

I travel with my float tube on my back. I have the adjustable force fins and use a pair of wading boots with lug soles (Korkers have replaceable soles). Great support around the ankles and good traction down the hills. The adjustable Force Finns were created to fit around boots.

I use my everyday korkers boots with my fins. They arent force fins. Theyre more of the standard flat bottom kick boat fins. Ive used these same fins for some 25 years and use them a LOT! The reason I like a serious boot rather than some bootie, is I often find myself hiking my tube and gear down some steep lake embankment

Default Cabelas zippered felt sole wading boots

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I think you're referring to these. My step-dad has used a pair of these for years and swears by them. Are felt soles still kosher?

I'm interested in hearing what others are wearing too.
    Reference is correct. I only use these w/ my float tube in still waters. Felt hardly ever touches the ground in the water. Boots don't have many hiding places for water borne organisms. Seems recently I've read or heard the knock on felt soles was grossly overstated.

I know this might be a little late getting on here, but I too have feet problems. I have a condition called Peripheral Neuropathy which is basically numb feet. When I go out in my float tube, I use stockingfoot waders with Outcast step-in fins. What I do is put on a cheap pair of sneakers two sizes larger (they fit with the waders and slip on and off) when I'm taking my tube and gear to the water. Then I put on the fins and put the cheap sneakers in the fin bag (a mesh carry bag) and throw it in the front of the tube. On the way out, reverse the procedure. Keeps your stockingfoot waders in good shape and who cares if the cheap sneakers get wet. Hope that helps.