Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you wear with your fins?

Just to follow up...

I bought a pair of Simms Freestone wading boots at Kiene's a while back and finally got a chance to try them this past weekend. So far so good. They worked well with my fins and my feet felt OK after about 11 hours total in the water over two days.

The true test will be the week I spend in B.C. next month.

Thanks again for all the replies.

marks,

I have a question for you. Having used both the old style Force Fins and the new style made for wading boots. Have you noticed any difference in the thrust that each type of fins are produce?

The reason I ask is that I've been using the old style for 16 years now and love them. The problem is that I used to wear an old pair of Simms L2 wading boot and they fit in the old force fins (just barely). After the boots wore out I switched to dive booties but just don't like them and want to go back to boots but I can't find a boot that will fit the old style Force Fins anymore. The reason I don't like the booties is I like to get out of the tube and wet wade periodically to stretch my legs and I've hurt my feet a couple times doing this.

So maybe instead of new boots I should go to new fins? Does anyone know of a size 10 wading boot currently made with a lug sole that will fit XXL old style force fins? I know that's a long shot. I've tried all the Simms wading boots and none fit. The toe box is just too tall on the new designs.

I haven't noticed any difference in thrust between the two, but it's been years since I used the old-style Force fins. I'm satisfied with the thrust from the adjustable ones.

I agree, it's probably a long shot that you'll find boots to fit in the old fins. From what I can tell, Force Fins can only be bought from the manufacturer. Outcast now sells a similar product that's also less expensive ($99 @ Kiene's). I haven't seen these in person yet.

If I were in your shoes (), I would lean toward new boots and fins.

Good luck.
    Mark

I been teaching a float tubing class for the GBF fly fishing club for awhile and i seen a lot of different fins and foot wear show up for my class.
    A good wading/walking boot is the best thing for your feet.
    Force fins are worth every penny you pay for them, and only if you learn how to kick with them. Once you know how to kick with force fins they will out perform any other fin, its isn't about how fast you can go, its about how much effort it takes to move the tube......when the catching is hot and the wind is blowing how long can you keep kicking before your legs cramp-up.....practice kicking in a wind to build your legs up before you go fishing.
    I had the same problem about finding a boot to fit my old force fins, and a friend told me about cutting the fin and putting some eyelets into the fin. The size of the force fin determines the width that a boot will fit into the cut force fin still, but it did help me to find a boot that would fit.

mark and gene, thanks for your replies. I'm going to look over my fins tonight. I've got a pair of Simms lug sole boots I'd like to use. I'll see if the fins are wide enough to accommodate them.

I'll probably buy a new pair of the float tube Force Fins anyway. It would be nice to have 2 pair just in case. After using force fins for 16 years I can't see myself changing to any other type.

Gene I agree with you about the importance of a good boot/fin combo. I feel it's just safer wearing boots than dive booties.

I've got a set of those old force fins and a size 14 foot. Never thought of cutting them and doing the grommet thing. They've just been sitting here for years calling to me. I bought them at a garage sale for $3 so even if I screw them I'm not out much.

Where do you buy the grommets?

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    I've got a set of those old force fins and a size 14 foot. Never thought of cutting them and doing the grommet thing. They've just been sitting here for years calling to me. I bought them at a garage sale for $3 so even if I screw them I'm not out much.

Where do you buy the grommets?
    Idadon..... Lowe's or Home Depot will have the grommet kit..... A hacksaw will cut the fin easly

I use diving fins from Hollis called F1 "Bat Fins". Huge thrust means easy all day use with a scissor kick, but like all diving fins you need to slim down your footwear to fit the fin foot pocket. I use a pair of walking shoes with the insoles removed to make room for the neoprene bootie , fits the fins great, very comfy both hicking and finning.
    IMHO true diving fins are a better choice than force fins, at least for me.
    Don't forget retaining straps . . . Losing a fin in the water is bad news