Thread: Trinity status?

Default Trinity status?

I am thinking about making a trip to the Trinity this weekend, does anyone have any intel and/or reports? I don't want to waste my time if it's blown out, but the American is too low and the Yuba is too high, so it's time to do something different.

Deamflows has the river at 2000 CFS at Douglas City and the projections are for another storm Thursday night so I would say it would probably not be worth the trip. With that said, I do not have any current first hand knowledge.

Thanks NCL. Going to call TFS in Redding later today and get their input. Flows are dropping nicely the last 12 hours, but I probably would not fish until Saturday morning at the earliest (or more likely Sunday), and another inch of rain due between now and then.

Also check road conditions there was a report of road closure due to a slide near Buckhorn, this info is a day or so old do it probably is open but with all the road work up there.

Thanks I had not heard about that.

According to TFS rep I spoke to yesterday the river is too high to fish effectively and it's bumped up again early this morning w/ the recent rain. I really want to get up there yet this season, hopefully next weekend is better...

River is chocolate milk just moved to Douglas city woke up to mud
    Last edited by norcal tom; 01-22-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by norcal tom View Post
    River is chocolate milk just moved to Douglas city woke up to mud
    I went on Thursday. 2 other boats from the Fly Shop also went. None of us got even a bit.

I fished it at Lewiston Jan 5-8. Rain sleet, and cold. Caught a 12lb wild fish on a size 14 psycho prince, and the other three on a dark stone or golden stone. Roll cast, stack mend, roll cast, stack mend, roll cast, stack mend. Water was just at that point of green almost off color. I stuck it out, having grown up in Humboldt County where when you could fish you just fished because you might not get a chance to come back. Growing up on West End road and a short skip and hop to the Mad, I got used to turbid off color.

No joke. I caught a fresh water razor clam to start this trip. Thought I was cursed, for sure.

Its quite rare for the water in Lewiston to be muddy due to the dams, but the past few years with the lake being so low the heavy rain on the exposed lake bed picks up a tremendous amount of suspended sediment that slowly passes through the dams. once this happens the muddy water seems to last for months on end and is not influenced by recent rain activity....