Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast last Friday Morning

Default Breakfast last Friday Morning

Its been a while since I've posted any photos here..Anyway I'm still around alive and kickin'

I thought I'd post a couple of photos of a Coopers Hawk with its breakfast it was havin' in my backyard... I got these two pics before it flew off to finish its meal in private. These were taken with my new 100-400MM L IS II lens (Which is now my "new favorite"!)

Its breakfast was appropriately enough, a "Mourning Dove"

Mike
    Last edited by Mike McKenzie; 01-12-2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spellin'

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Really nice shots Mike. Is that a Canon 100-400 zoom? Doves' behavior just sets them up to become meals for buteos. All the juncos, finches, and sparrows will flush and dive into the closest shrub at the slightest shadow. The doves just sit there and look around as if to say "where'd everybody go?". Grabbed this shot of a sharp-shinned hawk last week from my deck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sharpshinnedhawk.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	11573

Probably a decade ago now but I was working at the bike shop one Saturday and a big hawk (assuming accipiter not buteo) was posted up in a tree next to the shop for a few hours, just watching the pigeons. All of the sudden it swooped in and gets a pigeon and proceeds to dismantle the thing right in front of the front door. We decided to let it do its thing instead of shooing it away, and directed customers to enter through the back door. What a mess!

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Oops, thanks for correcting me, John. Coopers and sharp-shinned are accipters, not buteos. We woke up one morning about two weeks ago and the backyard was covered in dove feathers.

Excellent! Love these little bird eating hawks. Watching them maneuver thru dense woods chasing prey is a sight to see!

Sweet Mike! The IQ on those pictures is outstanding! That is one nice lens. Are you shooting from a full frame or cropped frame?

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    Sweet Mike! The IQ on those pictures is outstanding! That is one nice lens. Are you shooting from a full frame or cropped frame?

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Pete,
    Its a full frame Canon 6D.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Is that what they called a Sparrow Hawk when we were kids 50+ years ago?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks Mike,

Is that what they called a Sparrow Hawk when we were kids 50+ years ago?
    Nope! A "Sparrow Hawk" is technically an American Kestrel, the smallest member of the Falcon family.

Mike I'd sure love to see the EXIFDATA on one of those pictures of yours. I've got a Canon 400mm prime I'm shooting off a Canon full frame and I've yet to get that kind of image quality. The bokeh in both of these pictures is perfect...were you shooting off a tripod? Sorry for all the questions but those pictures just beg for information.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach