All,

There is a new, unobtrusive but fairly dicey obstacle on the Trinity at the mouth of Canyon Creek (downstream of the Sky Ranch launch and upstream of Junction City Campground) that has taken 3 or 4 drift boats in the last week or so. Basically, all season there has been a tight squeeze between a fallen tree on the left bank and gravel bar formed by the upstream side of the mouth of Canyon Creek. During the last storm, that gravel bar grew and was redeposited further across the channel, leaving a very narrow chute with VERY swift current that dumps straight into a fallen tree (which is perpendicular to the current). I heard a couple drift boats where flipped there this week, and yesterday I saw another sunk boat right below it. Also, I saw drift boat bits throughout my float below it.

If you are thinking of rowing this section, it's worth a look first. I wouldn't be surprised if someone cuts the tree out, but plenty of guys are getting through it and they won't be motivated to remove it. If you have a personal craft or particularly light boat, you can drag your boat over the gravel on the right of the chute. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Best,
B