Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity insight requested

Default Trinity insight requested

My brother and I are thinking of booking a trip to the Trinity next week before school starts back up. Wondering if anyone can give me some insight if that's a worthwhile time/place to go. I've heard that the Trinity turns off around the end of the year so I'm just trying to avoid an expensive mistake. Maybe we should look into fishing somewhere else?!?! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Tight lines,
    Gary

I have use Confluence Outfitters (Dax Massett and Leslie Ajari) and was very happy. The river will rise sunday - tuesday but after that it should be good. Winter steelhead is what it is just looking for a tug. PM me with any questions

You should go. The river is low, clear and cold right now, but the rain is starting today and should continue all week. There is already a lot of fish in the system and the rain will bring some fresh ones in. I'd aim for Thursday if you have a choice. Anything on Tuesday or after should be good. That said, it's steelhead fishing, so I really have no idea .

I like The Fly Shop for guides, but I usually just walk/wade to my favorite spots since I live less than 10 minutes away. It was really crowded during the past two weeks, but there are still fish in the river.

Darrin Deel is a good bet for the Trinity...

Thanks for the advice! We are looking to go on the 13th and there appears to be about a solid week of rain during that time. Not sure if that will blow the river out and make fishing tough.

My very best day on the Trinity was in early February so your timing is good. With that said it is steelhead fishing which can be very temperamental, I have caught steelhead every month from September through April and I have been skunked many times in those same months on the Trinity . I have fished with several of The Fly Shop guides and they are all very knowledgeable about the river and will fish the most productive sections. Without reservation I would recommend the following, either of Gregg or Kris Kennedy , Lonnie Boles, Ernie Dennison, Bill Downs , my best day ever on the Trinity was Bill, all of The Fly Shop guides are very good but I have fished with the aforementioned in the past few years. I have fished with a couple others on the Trinity but I am not sure if they still guide the Trinity. I have never fished the Trinity with Confluence but I have fished with them in Oregon and they are a quality crew. Check Dreamflows over the next couple of days and that should give you an idea of how these storms are effecting the flows. With all that said as was previously stated, just go you may hit it just right,

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! We are looking to go on the 13th and there appears to be about a solid week of rain during that time. Not sure if that will blow the river out and make fishing tough.
    You'll be fishing in the upper part of the river, so the river should not be blown out. I wouldn't worry about it. Just have a great time.

I'd have to give the Fly Shop another vote of confidence. And again, Bill Downs has been the guide who has has consistently put me on the most fish on the river. He's also a good guy and makes your float a lot of fun.

Wow

Thank you so much for the Kudo's guys ! With all the crap my competitor's spew it is nice to see my clients post some positive stuff.

I really enjoy my time on the water and the many friendships I have gained over the years.

Happy New Year and thank you again.

Best Fishes

Bill Downs
    530-215-4500
    Bill Downs
    Fly Fishing Guide
    20322 Grogan St
    Burney Ca 96013