Thread: New (simplified?) location codes for steelhead card?

Default New (simplified?) location codes for steelhead card?

Was looking at the location codes on my 2016 Steelhead Card and on the DFG website map and I noticed that many codes are gone now? Stanislaus River is not listed anymore for one which last year was 27D. Now I assume if I fish the Stanislaus it falls under location 20 San Joaquin River and Tributaries?

Last years card had over 70 locations listed and this years card only has 20.

Anybody have more info?

It appears much simplified. I'll take fitting "18" vs "26c3" in the little box anytime. I notice they also dispensed with the little bubble in the "hatchery fish kept" area, now just write in numbers for wild fish, hatchery fish kept, and hatchery fish released. Fine by me. Less paper means reduced cost, right? Think of the great things DFW will do with the savings!

It seems a lot easier to use. Bonked a hatchery fish today. My opinion is that they don't belong and that they are competing with the wild fish. In most cases you can tell whether you have hooked a hatchery vs wild fairly early in the fight....

There is also more slots for reporting.