Thread: Rogue Report

Default Rogue Report

After the Flood, the Rogue is finally dropping. There are a bunch of silver fresh fish at the hatchery outflow and some big ones as well. My client hooked 4 and landed 2 yesterday. The Corp dropped the flows about 500cfs yesterday and now she is flowing a beautiful, steely green 2000 ish cfs at the hatchery. The tributaries have cleared and are on the drop. Be careful if you drift the Takelma to Dodge section as it always changes with flood like flows and I haven't been through there yet. The flies we did well on were a mix between pink egg patterns and Nymphs. We did swing up one on the Rogue River Recon. Fish riffles, every fish we hit yesterday were in 4 foot of water or less. Good luck.

The hatchery outflow?

I believe he's talking about the section directly below the Cole River Hatchery. Every time I'm there I see plenty of gear and the occasional fly guy fishing directly below it. Above it would be the "Holy Water". If you take Tekelma, you literally walk through the hatchery to fish it, if the flows are low enough you can fish it from the boat ramp side. Obviously a boat would be better to avoid the combat fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    The hatchery outflow?
    I use the outflow of the Hatchery to judge the fish activity. There is a spot where all the water from the hatchery drains back into the river. The fish get stacked up there. Of course you cant fish there, but it gives you a great idea what's in the main channel of the river. If there are chromers in there, then there are more in the main river. I also watch the fish at the outflow to see their activity level, if they are jumping and pushing each other, I know they will be biting on the river.

The Rogue dropped again and she is running at 1350 out of the hatchery. With all the fish the flood pulled up this should make the Upper Rogue fish well. I will check back with more...The River is Calling.

If you want to fish the Rogue River with a guide Nate is the guy. I have fished with him several times and he is like the energizer bunny, he just doesn't quit, the last time I fished the Rogue with him we were on the river for 10 1/2 hours of solid fishing (no stop for lunch) and the only reason we did stop was because I was worn out, I truly believe Nate would have gone until it was too dark to fish. Nate is very knowledgeable about the river, spey casting and in general is just fun to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    If you want to fish the Rogue River with a guide Nate is the guy. I have fished with him several times and he is like the energizer bunny, he just doesn't quit, the last time I fished the Rogue with him we were on the river for 10 1/2 hours of solid fishing (no stop for lunch) and the only reason we did stop was because I was worn out, I truly believe Nate would have gone until it was too dark to fish. Nate is very knowledgeable about the river, spey casting and in general is just fun to be around.

+1, Nate is a great guide and will work hard to get you on fish.

Thanks Guys, but the River is what its all about I just get to introduce you guys to it.

Thanks Nate, for helping keep us in touch with southern Oregon fisheries where you guide fly fishers.

I love that part of the world and have lots of good friends up there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........