Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lower Yuba report 12/28

http://www.wildtroutstreams.com/Catc...guidelines.pdf

The impact of mortality caused by catch-and-release practices is often underestimated by
    both anglers and fishery managers. From a review of 118 catch-and-release studies (Appendix
    1), which, in total, involved over 120,000 fish, the average mortality associated with catch-andrelease
    angling was 16.2%. Thus, while many anglers may assume that by practising catch-andrelease
    they are having no impact on the fish population, a significant number of released fish
    may die. Additionally, many anglers will continue to fish after they have caught their limit under
    the premise that they will release all further fish caught, however they often do not take into
    consideration the number of fish which will inadvertently be killed as a result of this practice.

Good thread.
    I've enjoyed greggs photos and respect/like Ralph no end.
    I have to say I've been guilty of some in proper photos even though I hate idea of hurting fish. So I've reminded myself to keep em wet.

Cheers

Wow, look where this thread went. You guys have created a great instructional update on catch and release practices. I for one will be altering my fish handling practices. Thanks guys.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Is this the steelhead forum?

The study found 3% mortality from fishery that summer. Because each fish was caught ten times, the population effect for each capture was 0.3%. Somewhat iffy. In most of the trout studies with fly fishing catch and release in cool waters the effects are 1-3%. Because I doubt we catch all the fish even once per year in Yuba, the effect on population would be less than the rate for each fish on average from capture. Most mortality is caused by the hook in these low mortalty studies. Some from lack of resussitation after a long battle. Yuba does not have water temperature problem that plagues some waters. In the "old" days I used bait on occasion and released my fish, but I noticed some mortality from deep hooking, something I have also noticed with globugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Hahahahaha it's what I was thinking and didn't even get into the convo. I would suggest taking this in a PM or start a thread about this issue. This was a report from a Yuba trip.....
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Mark and Aron dead on!
    We should all try hookless flies, After all its all about the grab right!
    Randy

If this was the steelhead forum it would've included critiques of the saturation levels of the photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    If this was the steelhead forum it would've included critiques of the saturation levels of the photos
    Spot On! My chuckle of the day!