Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local creeks and streams?

Default Local creeks and streams?

I just got a 2 weight rod/reel for Christmas and want to go try it out. Most of the creeks I know are closed for the season, on private property, or are inaccessible due to snow. Does anyone know of some places I can go to try out my rod on some fish? I know most of you are pretty protective of your fishing holes, especially productive creeks, so any info would be great!

Thanks!

I'm new to this too but I was thinking South Fork of the American and maybe Silver Fork but make sure you check the regs. Looking at the weather you should be good for the next couple days all the way to Kyburz.

A few places you can try are American River above Folsom all forks, upper Sacramento above Shasta, Putah creek. Remember it is zero take, catch and release only, barbless hooks and artificial only.

I do not know if it is still viable after the drought we are in but there was a small pond next to Folsom High that had a descent population of panfish and small bass where you can try the new rod out.

Regs are here:
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...D=93497&inline

Thanks tcorfey. I've fished the American down by the confluence a bunch of times for bass (and a little trout) but was concerned it may be a bit much for my 2 weight. I'll have to check out the upper Sac next time I'm up visiting family in Redding.

Doesn't Putah require a little heavier rod? I've been meaning to check it out with my 5 and 6 weight rods.

And thanks for the heads up on the regulations. I normally fish C&R with barbless, but always good to remind people.

I live right by Dry Creek in Roseville, but it's closed to fishing until May because of the salmon run. Definitely going to try fishing that during the open season.

Quote Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
    I'm new to this too but I was thinking South Fork of the American and maybe Silver Fork but make sure you check the regs. Looking at the weather you should be good for the next couple days all the way to Kyburz.
    I've wanted to check out the Silver Fork, but I typically go up the 80 corridor, rather than 50. I may have to give it a try though, I've heard good things.

Good advise here!! Love 2 wt. fishing, what combo did you get for Christmas?

Not sure how you classify "local", but you could have some serious fun with a 2wt come May-Sept on the North Fork Yuba. Many of the tributary creeks that branch off of the NF are also full of small feisty rainbows. Deer Creek in Nevada county is another option but public access is limited and it's more of an April-October fishery, though it's open above Lake Wildwood all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Good advise here!! Love 2 wt. fishing, what combo did you get for Christmas?
    I got a Redington Butter Stick and a Ross Gunnison Reel with a Rio Trout LT WF line.

I took it out onto the North Fork of the American yesterday just to practice casting and it was a ton of fun.

Here is a picture I snapped yesterday:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S9oEdwZ.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	11530

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Not sure how you classify "local", but you could have some serious fun with a 2wt come May-Sept on the North Fork Yuba. Many of the tributary creeks that branch off of the NF are also full of small feisty rainbows. Deer Creek in Nevada county is another option but public access is limited and it's more of an April-October fishery, though it's open above Lake Wildwood all year.
    Local for me would be 1 or 2 hours from Roseville area, but definitely willing to travel a bit farther especially during the summer. The NF Yuba is on my list to fish this summer. Any recommendations of access on Deer Creek?
    Last edited by KillerSloth; 12-28-2015 at 12:36 PM.

The Lower Moke will reopen January 1 below Comanche Res. The smolts would be fun on a 2wgt. You can also check out the Calaveras below the dam. Good small stream options this time of year. Maybe a little far south from Roseville.

Harlan

Within reasonable striking distance of Roseville I like the 70 corridor along the Feather. Lots of feeder streams, beautiful landscape, and not terribly far away. If you grab a topo map look for solid blue lines with hiking trail access feeding into the North Feather, there should be a good amount of water in those stretches when the season opens this year, and plenty of willing 6-12" bows that should be super fun on the 2wt with stimulators and ant patterns.