Thread: Nitrile/latex gloves safe for fish?

Default Nitrile/latex gloves safe for fish?

I see people at Pyramid Lake using latex/nitrile gloves to handle fish. Looking into trying them to keep my hands dry this winter.

Does anyone know if they help protect the fish's slime coat or are they harmful?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch the barb View Post
    I see people at Pyramid Lake using latex/nitrile gloves to handle fish. Looking into trying them to keep my hands dry this winter.

Does anyone know if they help protect the fish's slime coat or are they harmful?
    They sure are helpful in keeping your hands warm and intact. I started using them this year to keep the cold SALTY water off my hands. I finally dont have a bunch of line burn marks on my hand from strip sets.

My guess is they are probably fish friendly. If they weren't how would they be able to use them during surgeries? And they are always wet on the outside from stripping line so I dont see how they could be more harmful than our hands. What is bad for their slime coat is dragging them up on the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch the barb View Post

With the slick wet surface of the latex gloves, and the slime coating on the fish it makes it very hard to hang onto a fish. The safe's way is to put the fish into a net.
    I been using latex gloves for 15 years to help keep my hands warm.

Quote Originally Posted by gangster View Post
    They sure are helpful in keeping your hands warm and intact. I started using them this year to keep the cold SALTY water off my hands. I finally dont have a bunch of line burn marks on my hand from strip sets.

My guess is they are probably fish friendly. If they weren't how would they be able to use them during surgeries? And they are always wet on the outside from stripping line so I dont see how they could be more harmful than our hands. What is bad for their slime coat is dragging them up on the sand.
    Thanks man! I figured they would be safe just double checking before buying some. Yeah and unfortunately I see lots of people dragging them on the sand. Thanks again.