Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CI. Rod Choices ?

Question CI. Rod Choices ?

With Christmas Island rapidly coming up (barely a month away) I find myself already taking way too much. It was suggested by Dylon Rose at Fly Water Travel to take an 8 wt., a 10 wt., and a 12 wt. Obviously the 8 wt. would be for the bones and to fight the wind, and the 12 wt. would be for the Gt's or if we decide to go offshore.

My dilemma is the middle size rod, the 10 wt. suggestion. What would this rod be used for the most, if at all? For those of you who have been there is this a needed size rod to have ?

With the idea of having a back-up rod for every occasion should one break, I find myself emptying my closet and taking more than necessary, in addition to paying for excess luggage on the flights.

So far I'm taking an 8 wt. with either a 7 wt or a 9 wt. for back-up. I'm taking my new 12 wt. BVK for the GT's, and a 13/15 wt. for trolling offshore for wahoo or ? whatever ?

So I come back to the question of that middle size 10 wt. What would this be best used for there and do I really need to take it?

Kiritimati (pronounced Chriss-mass) on the horizon Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

When I went about 4 years ago, I took 7, 8, and 10 rods and spares. I didn't have any shots at trevally over about 20 lbs, so the 10 was the right size. I have heard others say that a 10 is the perfect size for trevally that appear on the flats, but you will want a 12 if you purposely target the biggest ones. I used a 7 for bones when it wasn't too windy, but was happy to have the 8 when the wind picked up.

I took too much stuff, but still stayed under the weight limit. If I went back, I would take fewer clothes. I would only take two changes of fishing clothes, since you can rinse and dry them on alternate days. I could almost get by with carry ons only.

Have a great time!
    Ted

Question CI Rod Choices....

Hi Tony,.... Good luck on your trip. Are you going to CI in March '16 with Jay's group as well as next month??

Here's a link to a prior thread on CI by Paul C., to help with the rod choice. He's made a detailed description of what his experiences were with the fishing and rods down there (fairly lengthy):

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...CI-Report-2014

Also, Mems made a recent/good report on one of his trips down there, altho, I couldn't find it. Check the archives.

At this point, I'm planning on taking a 7 wt (primary), an 8 wt (back-up), 2 10 wt's and a 12 weight (no back-up). The actual mix may change between now and departure time.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

If this trip turns out like I hope I might just be on the NEXT available trip with whoever Thanks for researching that prior post from Paul. That is the exact lodge we'll all be staying at. Really good info on that entire post.

Our host for the Jan./ Feb trip is Rob Ramsey. He's been going here for years and stays three weeks at a time so he's got plenty of good experience there I hope to pass on too.

Now, I've got to learn the language. I don't think they say "Aloha" or " Buenos dias senior" there. Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

I don't have the answer for you. However I have a friend who goes at least twice a year, He's one of my roommates in Loreto, If you like I can hook you up with him and you could ask him questions. Email me if interested.

carlblackiedge@aol.com

Default Language.... ???

Tony,.... From the websites I've read, I believe they speak english to us. Since they're Pacific Islanders, their native language might be tagalog(??).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Tony,

I am going to CI in March. This will be my second trip there. Did it two years ago and had a fantastic time. Last trip, I took four rods (7,8,10,12). I never fished the 12wt because I loaned it to a fellow that had forgotten to pack his heavy rod. That turned out to be ok for me because I got my fair share of GTs and other big fish with the 10wt (biggest 70 & 100lb.). For the bones, triggers and others, I used my 7 & 8wt. Used the 8 on windier days (most), but I did enjoy using my TFO TiCrX 7wt whenever I could. That's my go to rod for most of my saltwater fishing in California. This upcoming trip, my arsenal is the same except that my 10wt is now a TFO Mangrove. That rod has a little more backbone and is a bit faster than my old Loomis. When you go out on the flats with or without the guide, you will have two rods...a bonefish and a big fish rod. Usually your guide will carry whichever you are not using, but if you are splitting a guide, you might be on your own for a period of time. You have to think about carrying that second rod yourself. A sling attached to your shirt or sling or waist belt will do. It really sucks when you are fishing for bones and a big GT swims right near you and you don't have that big rod available.
    I am going to be fishing around Oahu for a few days before going to CI. I have a friend that guides and he tells me that the bones run a bit larger there. We'll see.
    Oh yea, the CIA has a website with all kinds o info on Kiribati.

Have a great trip and watch out for that sun.

John

One nice things is that you will probably be there with others who have lots of back up tackle too.

For Bonefish I like a 9' 4 piece #8 weight rod fly rod that either has a softer tip with a WF8F or if it has a fast tip, I over load it one size because all the casting is fairly short because you are always wading. Most of your casting is 30 to 60 feet in the wind so I like my rod to load up well in short. A softer line with a shorter head is better for wading fore Bones.

In other places we cast from boats for Bones so the casting is more like 40 to 80 feet so a faster action rod with a longer belly line is better. Stiffer lines are better for laying on a hot skiff deck too.

I like a 9' 4 piece #10 rod with a Rio OBS Tropical with streamers and poppers for Giant Trevally and Barracuda. Have your guide carry it for you on the flats.

A 12 weight would be good for out of a boat in the bay or outside in the blue water.

Have really good Polarized glasses in earth tones of brown to yellow/amber. Have them with your superscription if necessary.

Work on casting a larger weight forward floating line. Way different than a lead core or T14 line.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Boy, that's really the truth about casting a floating line. Around here it's almost 99% sinking shooting head stuff for stripers or shad. I've been hitting the park with all the rods and line combo's making everything work and trying to get comfortable with them.
    Over-sizing the floaters one size really seems to help.

This sure has been a great help guys, Thank you all, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hey Tony, rod choices, I would bring two of everything you plan on using. I like a 6wt for bones and an 8wt for windy days. I used a strong 8wt last time for triggers and golden trevally. That would be your 10wt rod. If you are bringing a 9wt that would fit that bill. For GT's and offshore a 12wt is a better choice. You can have one set up for GT's while on the flats. You can have fun with a 20lber on a 12wt, but a 100lber on a 10 wt could end up bad for the 10wt. I would also bring a trolling or heavy spin rod for offshore and casting big poppers in the surf. You can bring some butterfly jigs and drop for snapper off the reef. Lots of options to target there. Have fun and don't worry you will have too much stuff, but better to be over prepared than to be wanting while there. Don.
    Don Memmer