Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spawning Fish Unethical

Default Spawning Fish Unethical

Here is an in your face reason to not fish for spawning fish. I do not post much but when I see something like this I feel like I have to do something. This fish was found dead with with another one in a major spawning area in our local water. This is a 21" fish foul hooken in the gill plate wrapped in the leader (based on the marks on the body) and fought to the death. This goes for every fishery out there, every fish out there. Now this fish cannot spawn, it cannot reproduce cannot regenerate the system. I am not sure what to do to help the situation other then bring awareness to fishing community.

This hurts my heart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	11484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	11483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	11484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	11483

Most fly fishers should understand this concept but the average, uneducated angler will do almost anything to catch a spawning salmon or steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'll say again, there should be a "fisher safety class" to educate them before they get a lic.
    Ethics should be a required subject in schools too. Several semesters judging by the "average fisher".
    Sometimes I think there are two kinds of fisher......Consumers and connoisseurs.
    Stage one is to catch as many as possible, stage two, is appreciating the life in the life form..........
    This society raises plenty of the first....If Donald Trump fished, I suspect he would use a grenade, and banish others from his water.....
    (Not to get political.)
    I'm not the fish police, but I do speak up when I see uninformed fishers...
    Hope folks here help those that need it.
    If we don't, who will.....?

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 12-11-2015 at 09:56 AM.

It's extremely important to educate folks, but I think in the end we just have to come to terms with the fact that there are just some bad people out there in every sport, every aspect of life, and there's often not much we can do about it.
    A few years back I watched from across a river as a hunting guide's clients were salmon fishing. Every salmon they caught was literally kicked back into the river after being landed, often kicked several times. It's hard to come up with the proper words to convey everything that is wrong with that scenario, and I'm sure even if you could, they wouldn't care. Not sure if it's their wiring, the way they were brought up, or maybe a combination of factors.

EVERY fish is a potential spawner. They do nothing but eat or spawn. It is their purpose in life. It IS a shame to see what is, to us, a waste and, to us, an unnecessary struggle. However, Nature will keep her unpolluted niche full and balanced, even tho her hand is somewhat rough. It may be that some of our job now is to replace the grizzly that we have eliminated, tho we have done that way too efficiently with pollution. And another disturbing factor, to some, is that, like the cat, many of us enjoy playing with our food first.
    just a thought.....
    ....lee s.

It's just lack of respect in general. Not many teach their kids the respect for all species and from there it just keeps going.

Where to draw the line? Many states ban fishing during spawn season for fresh water species but not for Anadromous species and limit to one hook (no treble hooks and no dropper set ups) to reduce foul hooking. Some states ban fishing in sections where spawning is known to occur. But even if it put in such regulations, CA DFG probably would not have the enforcement budget.

CA DFG does a good job in balancing our waters for everyone, especially those waters like the Lower Yuba. Barbless hooks, no bait and C & R are a big help and keep the water open.

REDDS- a huge area of disagreement in fishermen & guides: I think that fishing over redds should not be allowed (my choice, not based in fact just how I feel ) ... I feel that any disturbance of the redds or spawning fish should not be allowed (the fight of a hooked trout seems like it must disturb spawning fish) - again, no facts just how I feel.

I like the idea of one barbless hook only to help reduce foul hooking, but that also punishes people who fish to eat. When the object is to catch fish to eat and those fish will be killed anyway, then is there a need to educate about foul hooking or how to minimize stress or minimize damage to hooked fish.

So, how to protect spawning fish? Unfortunately I think only regulation and enforcement will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    Where to draw the line? Many states ban fishing during spawn season for fresh water species but not for Anadromous species and limit to one hook (no treble hooks and no dropper set ups) to reduce foul hooking. Some states ban fishing in sections where spawning is known to occur. But even if it put in such regulations, CA DFG probably would not have the enforcement budget.

CA DFG does a good job in balancing our waters for everyone, especially those waters like the Lower Yuba. Barbless hooks, no bait and C & R are a big help and keep the water open.

REDDS- a huge area of disagreement in fishermen & guides: I think that fishing over redds should not be allowed (my choice, not based in fact just how I feel ) ... I feel that any disturbance of the redds or spawning fish should not be allowed (the fight of a hooked trout seems like it must disturb spawning fish) - again, no facts just how I feel.

I like the idea of one barbless hook only to help reduce foul hooking, but that also punishes people who fish to eat. When the object is to catch fish to eat and those fish will be killed anyway, then is there a need to educate about foul hooking or how to minimize stress or minimize damage to hooked fish.

So, how to protect spawning fish? Unfortunately I think only regulation and enforcement will do that.

I can't recall who said it but I think there are a few bad apples and that is true in life. Most of the people in this circle are way above board. I think most of the people I run into on the water are the same way. Sad that this happens but I don't believe its widespread. (I hope its not)

The spawn is absolutely beautiful to watch. I don't see how anyone can rationalize the thought of trying to catch these fish while they are spawning. That fishery is super sensitive and definitely needs better regs.
    I believe that closing the fishery during the winter spawn is the best middle ground between an all year fishery and protecting the fish.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

So the whole stretch of any Anadromous species river would have to be closed to fishing. If not how would you outline what is a Redd and what isn't?
    Add that many people can't recognize a redd even if they are conscientious. Wading through redds is actually just as harmful if not more so than catching the spawners. Hundreds, maybe thousands of eggs are crushed or damaged preventing hatching. And it isn't just fishermen. I've watched guides in Tierra del Fuego take clients specifically to an area chock full of redds to fish for huge brown trout. When I pointed out the redds and talked about the detrimental effects, the guide I was with sort of shrugged his shoulders. I said I wouldn't wade there and proceeded to walk upstream to a more riffled area without redds. Similar thing happened on the Green River below Flaming Gorge (not my guide but definitely a guide with clients). I think the only way to absolutely protect spawning areas, redds, and spawning fish is to close specific sections of rivers during the spawn. Sure there are non-spawners slurping eggs downstream of the redds but protecting the spawners, redds and eggs seems like a higher priority and simply telling people to be careful and even writing legislation to stay off the redds isn't going to be effective.