Thread: Weekend in Florida

Default Weekend in Florida

I spent this past weekend in Titusville, FL. about 40 miles from Orlando. I was there for the Renzetti Fly Fair and Rod Building expo. It was a two day event that started on Friday. A lot of legends in the fly fishing sector were in attendance, such as Lefty Kreh, Bob Clouser, Bob Popovics, Jon Cave, Pat Ehlers, Nick Curcione, Brian Horsley and his wife Sarah Gardner. This event is held every other year to raise money for Casting for Recovery and Project Healing Waters. There were fly tyers, people doing presentations, casting classes and casting demo's. Also Hells Bay Boats were there a long with a number of other vendors. They had a silent auction on Friday and Saturday. On Friday night they had a dinner at the La Cita Golf and Country Club along with an auction. This is also where we stayed for 4 days. Nick Curicone gave a speech regarding the fly fishing industry. They auctioned off a fly plate which had flys tied by all the "Legends", even I had one in the box.
    It sold for $800.00. They had other prizes like a Abel Reel, TFO Rods, Yeti Bag, Yeti coffee mugs.
    Presentations like fly tying were done by Lefty, Bob Popovics, Bob Clouser, Steve Farrer, and me.
    Then on Saturday evening we had an after show party at the Casa de Renzetti. There house is located right on the Mosquito Lagoon and directly across the lagoon is the Cape Canaveral launch pad. There was suppose to be a scheduled launch on Thursday but it got cancelled, then on Friday and Saturday it was cancelled again. It finally went off on Sunday at 4:45pm. Damn, I missed another launch. I was at the airport in Orlando at that time.
    This was the 5th show that the Renzetti's have put on. I attended the first two shows which started in 2006 and after the show in 2007, they started doing the event every other year. The next event will be held in December of 2017. I sure hope Lefty will be in attendance. Do you know he's 90 years young and still doing things like shows and some fishing. At the breakfast and dinners, he kept the whole crowd laughing and really interested in his stories from way back when. He's a real interesting person, going back and meeting and fishing with a lot of presidents, movie stars, etc. He's known Andy Renzetti since the early 70's. And even helped Andy start up Renzetti, Inc. Andy developed the first full rotary vise back in 1974 or 1976. I can't remember what he said. He also came out with the first "V" type shaft on a vise. An amazing machinest. He's also machined part for the space shuttle program.
    Anyway, I'm attached a few photo's from the event. A few people asked me to post some to this site since a lot of people aren't on Face book.

Andy and Lily Renzetti

Lefty tying a Lefty's Deceiver on the new Renzetti Special Edition Vise

Lefty giving free casting lessons

Bob Clouser with Linda Heller, Ruth Stokes and Sarah Gardner They taught the women's casting clinic

Bob Popvics, Steve Farrer, Pat Ehlers

Bob Popovics and his new book coming out in January. The master of tying salt water patterns

Nick Curcione

Brian, Sarah, Jay

Jay, Bob Clouser, Lily Renzetti

And of course... Me & Lefty

The group at the Renzetti dinner

That's the most we've seen you smile. Looks like you had a fun time.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Lefty had everybody smiling. The way he said to get people to smile is when you're looking at the camera, he keeps saying "Keep talking, keep talking" But the way he says it makes you laugh.
    It was a great weekend spending time with all those legends, some old and some young. I can't wait to go back in Dec. 2017.
    Are ya ready to go to CI

J

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

That's the most we've seen you smile
    Ha hah ha, I was thinking the same thing. You're mellowing amigo. That and you shaved off your goat tee. Andy hasn't changed much either. I never did send him the jaws on my vise to make me a set of tiny midge size jaws like he offered.

Jay,

I've already got rods packed in the tube and half my suite case full. You betcha I'm ready. Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Great post, Jay. Some real legends there!
    Best,
    Larry S