Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Tenkara Love/Hate (un)appreciation thread.

Default The Tenkara Love/Hate (un)appreciation thread.

I know people have mixed feelings on Tenkara, but after spending a bunch on time on small streams this summer it's getting really appealing to me. Not having to deal with line on the water, reeling up everytime I need to climb over a boulder, being able to get in close under overhanging branches...it looks super fun. Interested to hear people's feedback on it, what rods they liked best, limitations or non-traditional ways they've fished Tenkara setups, etc.

This Topo / Tenkara setup looks amazing, but always been a Topo fan.

Seriously dying laughing.

Just keep line in and the drag tight and away you go with your tightline drift on a long rod! You got your self one!

Mark how are my kids eventually going to not get to go to college if I don't buy additional and possibly unnecessary fly gear tho.

Not sure if that matters with these next generations? It will truly become war games by then, we're doomed! Just keep fishing hard with your fiancé while you can...you two got it going on! Cheers!!!

I love Tenkara. I have been fishing that way for years in small streams an on bass ponds. Great Popper rods.

I also teach Tenkara so I have a love for it that I love to share.

If you haven't tried it - it will make you a better fly fisher. Backpackers, hikers and survivalist all love Tenkara!!

Get out there and fish!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Tenakra-one of the dumbest fads out there! Have fun manuvering that 80' long rod thru the dense brush and trees while creekin. And also enjoy not being able to let a decent fish run. You dont want to land the pig that comes 1 of 1000 in the small creeks either. I cant stand tenakra!

It's just cane pole fishing with vastly more expensive gear and a fancy name. The only advantage I see is the telescoping rod thing is nice for hiking in thru brush. The Cabelas store in Idaho Falls got a lot of requests for Tenkara gear, mostly from rich vacationers headed to Montana or Jackson Hole. It's always fun to learn new techniques so I think it might be enjoyable. Here's a suggestion; buy a cheap 4 or 5 weight switch rod, the longer the better. Don't bother with a reel just just run a line down thru the eyes and out the tip. Then go fishing. If you get tired of it take the line off, buy a reel and switch line and you've got a new outfit.

The "killer app" for Tenkara: Winter Fishing.

No more clearing ice out of the guides and no handling wet (or frozen) line--you can keep your mittens on and stay warm. Think about it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
    The "killer app" for Tenkara: Winter Fishing.

No more clearing ice out of the guides and no handling wet (or frozen) line--you can keep your mittens on and stay warm. Think about it . . .
    Think about all the big winter fish you wont be able to land because you have no extra line to let the fish run.

YOu may as well break a branch off a tree and tie some line to the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gangster View Post
    Tenakra-one of the dumbest fads out there! Have fun manuvering that 80' long rod thru the dense brush and trees while creekin. And also enjoy not being able to let a decent fish run. You dont want to land the pig that comes 1 of 1000 in the small creeks either. I cant stand tenakra!
    Of course I have heard surprisingly similar comments from gear guys about fly fishing too...
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown