Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indicator Tactics For Winter Bass

I like the look's of your fly Ryan, so i tied a balance one up.

That fly is going to kill! Awesome tie and great idea for the balance. I can't wait to hear how you do! The flash and chartreuse will really excel in stained water.

Sort of a different genre of "fly", but might work with this technique. Fly rod spinnerbaits are easy to make and can be quite effective at times. The spinner blades will rotate at extremely slow retrieve rates. I plan on giving them a try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5352.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	11505

With the lower winter water temperatures in the Delta our staff member Jim Christensen uses an Intermediate clear slow sinking full line with a longer lighter streamer that has soft material giving it more action to stimulate the fish more. Jim will find schools of Stripers and schools of bait together where he puts his slow sinking rig down to their depth and move it slowly through the schools.

I am recommending you use materials on the 'winter bass fly' that have more movement like marabou and/or rabbit strips.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Lightbulb

Those spinner baits look great MTaylor. The light blades being able to move at a slow rate makes allot of sense. Seems like a good largemouth attractor, but I’m sure spots and smallmouth will destroy those too.

Bill, Thanks for the GREAT knowledge as always. Your info is spot on. Biggest Spotted Bass I’ve seen take a fly was at Bullards, on a tie utilizing almost 100% rabbit strips. We kind of thought it was a fluke, and began tying with more synthetic/stiffer materials in an attempt to match a more realistic look. But after reading your post, it really gets me thinking, and I now realize that big Spot was not a fluke… I’m gonna have to bring back the rabbit strips to my arsenal for sure. If I were going to use Marabou for Indicator flies though, I’d use a hefty amount because they get torn up real fast.

Finally got some time to do some personal fishing, so I’m gonna fish Oroville tomorrow, and I’ll give the Intermediate rod a shot with the tie I just did after reading your post (pictured below). Thanks again Bill!

I'm tired of getting low fish numbers or worse the skunk on the Feather lately. So I’m goanna start heading to the Lake and fight bass until my arm is soar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movementsmelt.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	11508  

Float and Fly has been getting it done lately! Anyone tried it out yet? The Lake is finally moving upwards which feels good to see. And here's some pics. Rabbit strip indicator flies worked really well today too. Tried some old ones out again after reading your advice Bill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151223_145657.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	11521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151223_135401-1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	11522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151223_141057-1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	11523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151223_121400.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	11524  

I need a few more of these bobbers...our shop doesnt have them. Any spot online i could grab a dzn of diff sizes? Feel free to pm me.

PM sent with a link.