Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indicator Tactics For Winter Bass

Default Indicator Tactics For Winter Bass

I know not everyone likes using indicators, and I totally understand why. But I’ve figured out a way to extremely productive bass days all winter long, and I’d like to share what I’ve learned. Figured this is the perfect place.

Guys in the tournament community do this all the time when the water temps drop. It’s called a “Float and Fly” rig. It’s cool to hear about Bass tournament guys tying flies… I went into a local bass shop here and when the worker realized what I was doing, he took out his phone and started showing me pictures of his ties. This guy was not a fly fisherman, but a very serious bass angler. Just a little food for thought!

I did a write-up recently on my website about these tactics, and I figured this would be a good place to share. It’s not a short and sweet write-up, rather long and technical, but there is a ton of information in there, broken into sections, with a diagram and pictures as well. I also have regular bass reports and pictures on my site too for those who might be interested. Here’s the link to the write-up.

http://www.flyfishcnv.com/indicators...nter-bass.html

I’d love to hear some feedback! No intent on starting an indicator vs swinging war though! Haha.
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-08-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Link had been changed. Wanted to update it.

Right on with your statement that this concept is not new. I used a variation when I was a kid in the Delta and Clear Lake back in the fifties & sixties. Sometimes with a big popper and a small streamer underneath. Worked really good, especially in Clear Lake when there was big crappies around. My dad usually took the back hook off a topwater plug and dropped a big (usually white) streamer a few feet back. He threw this with an old Pflueger baitcaster. Wasn't unusual to catch two bass at a time or a bass crappy.

It worked good back then, no reason it shouldn't still work. Try it in the delta when there are stripers around. If they think another fish is about to catch something....well, that bottom fly gets very desirable. I never tried dead drifting, like with midge nymphs, for bass though. Usually gave it some movement. But I've got a lake full of smallies close by.

Good Stuff Ryan I like it. Might have to talk my brother into heading up to Bullards with you.

Hopefully you can swing the Bass deal weekend before memorial and stick around for the weekend this time.

Idadon, that cool you've used this before! I plan on tying up some topwater flies to drop the jig flies off, it's on my "Tying To Do List" already. Your info on the 2 fish at a time is pretty re-assuring! I don't really use nymphs though, so far I'm only using baitfish imitations on a weighted jig hook. The Delta is too far away for me to fish regularly, so that's up to you locals there to truly put it to the test. I almost guarantee it will work for those who try. I'm sure it will work for river and delta stripers as well. I haven't messed around with this for stripers yet though, but I plan on doing so for sure. I'd love to try it on Clear Lake as well! Along with Almanor and Trinity Lake for Smallies. If you get into any Smallies with this I'd love to see a report!

Thanks Dave! I'd love to get you guys out to Bullards this Winter. I'm gonna put the event on my calendar, it's just really hard for me to commit to things lately. For the first trip I got no sleep the night before because I was excited, and I had a trip in Anderson the next day Haha. Every time I make plans something important always seems to pop up. I'm gonna do what I can though for sure! I know its a really cool event with some great fisherman.

Awesome Ryan, sounds like you're getting it dialed. You should try the Airlock indicators rigged like Tim Rajeff shows here, been using them for trout/steel when I can't swing, has worked well so far.

https://vimeo.com/110832384

Also, been killing the stripes in the Napa from the yak, thanks!

---ted
    Last edited by golfish; 12-02-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks Ted! I'll give those indicators a shot. I've used them but not like that. 90 degree rig with stronger line could do good! Good to hear your getting into fish on the Napa too! Such a cool place. Props on getting it done with the Kayak too!!

Years ago when I owned Saltwater Innovations we designed and built an offshoot of my Lance's Crystal Popper and sold them to Bass Pro. They where called Lance's Shadow Popper. Basically the popper was the float, bobber, indicator what have you. Extending from the rear of the popper hook was a wire eyelet that you could attach a tippet too and run your dropper fly off of.

We sold tens of thousands of them. Bass anglers ate them up. Then the gulf coat guys went hog heaven for them for all types of drums. Most gulf guys placed our spoon underneath it.

I also amazed how tactics are recycled or discovered by other anglers in hopes to catch fish!

Walton Powell a mentor of mine used a red and white bobber with a shad fly with a white piece of pig rind underneath it too catch bass out on the Sacramento River. We even sold the rind in the fly shop!

Ryan great article! It's a proven tactic that I use all the time on my water - Stoney Gorge and East Park. Maybe we can hook up and I can show you the lakes!

Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Thanks for the info Lance! Cool to have recycled a tactic. Worked then and still does! Haha. I’ve still yet to try it on the Sac when the temps are cold enough. My success in warmer temps has been really limited with it. Can’t wait to try it this Winter though for sure. And I’d love to hit your water with you! Give me a heads up next time your heading to either and I’m sure I’ll be able to work something out.

Ryan ...... thanks for sharing the float N fly fishing tactic, i have a question about those great flies you tied up, does it have to be a balance fly?

Thanks Gene! I do like using flies that balance out. I'm sure its not really completely needed, but that's what I've been using. Overall, I haven't found the Bass to be too picky as far as flies go, so I'm sure anything that looks fishy dangling in front of their face will produce. I haven't tried Balance Leeches yet either, but I know those would be a great option for those who already have some.