Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is eating this stuff?

Default Who is eating this stuff?

No one has written on this yet?

AquAdvantage salmon?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/bu...tion.html?_r=0
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

It is mind boggling how strongly FDA regulates food and drugs essential and beneficial to humans and how easily it allows those which are not. I personally won't eat farm-raised, GMO, Monsanto ANYTHING. I don't trust it to my health and more importantly... I do not want to support the havoc it wreaks on our environment (research fish farm sea lice effects on wild sockeye salmon and other salmonid and pelagic species in AK and Canada).

Aquaculture may be 'sustainable' as a process for raising questionable fish... but it renders everything else NON-sustainable.

The more we alienate ourselves from nature... the less we know about it and the less we feel a need to protect it. Eating this engineered crap instead of hunting and fishing for our food is a step in the wrong direction; a step away from sustainability.

Similarly, the widespread ignorance about the dirty politics of our water supply, usage and proposed measures to kill our delta (BDCP) in California is a mirror of this same moving AWAY from a connection to the land and sustainability. The same people who never look at the CDEC website, or who find out we're in a drought by watching KCRA rather than by being on a river 300 days/year... are the same people who don't think twice about buying the 'pretty', synthetic-orange salmon...

Tell the small-time, commercial salmon fisherman about 'sustainability' and he'll tell you about how the mismanagement of water and fisheries in California has cost him his livelihood. Shortage of water = shortage of fish = greater demand for salmon... No problem says the genetic food industry, let's just 'make us some salmon'. Yet another serious, ecological disaster swept under the industrial carpet...

And the bureaucrats push ever onward towards avoiding the truth and taking any responsibility for the problem. Instead, they point to non-native species as the culprit and propose yet another bill (SB1894) to eliminate them rather than address the real cause of salmon and steeelhead decline and POD in general. That of course would be the increased pumping of delta water south since the late 1990's.

If passed, say goodbye to the sustainability of the Sac/SJ delta and to the to tens of thousands of species of animals reliant upon these fish with which they have coexisted/coevolved.

Say goodbye to your opportunities to catch perch, bluegill, crappie, bass, stripers, and perhaps even sooner, say goodbye to your ability to catch the native species the proposed bill pretends to protect.

Our rights are less and less sustainable these days...

Hopefully the passion of the few can override the apathy of the many and overtake the greed of those who would sell their souls and our rivers down the aqueducts...

Speak up and be heard fellow anglers...

THANKS MIKE McKENZIE and others involved... for staying informed and doing all you do to share this most important info~
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 11-21-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Poison!!!!!

"In its fruitless endeavors to master the art of replicating mother nature... Humanity slowly but surely eradicates it."

ML

You are (there's no label requirement for GMO foods; it's not considered an "ingredient"; no right to know).

I think all this GMO food is not good for humans.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

64 countries require labeling for GMOs. I suspect none of the politicians in those countries are subject to the volume of lobbying that goes on here, not to mention political donations.

Modern corn, bananas and a cow are all GMO's. Genetically modified organism. They arn't all bad, depending on how and what you look at. Your cat and dogs are genetically modified through selective breeding.

However, regardless of human health reasons, this salmon technology wont, in the end, be restricted to land based fish farming, as it is required now.

One more thing the supposedly environmental democrats did to screw both the fish and my income. Worthless slime.

It's all about MONEY! Ever hear that old saying about you are what you eat? Feed this crap to your kids and by the time they reach 5 they're 7ft tall. Try finding corn now that's not genetically modified. Can these things reproduce?

Walter mentions selective BREEDING but that's not the same thing in my mind. That's just two natural, compatable animals making an natural offspring. Maybe good, maybe bad. Making a salmon with eel DNA IS JUST WRONG. I'll bet they have to dye the meat to make it look like real salmon too.
    Last edited by Idadon; 11-22-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Yes, since farm raised salmon dont eat krill their flesh would be white as well, without the pink or orange dyes.

Some human cultures feel the same about selectively breeding animals as some here do about gene splicing. I've personally put the gene for bio-luminescence into E.coli bacteria. It was cool, but I felt like I shouldnt be doing that. That was in high school.

At Davis they told us about a test acreage of corn GMO-d, if you will, to where the pollen was physically destructive to the air pathways through insects exoskeleton. The corns own pollen would kill them. Imagine that! No pesticides!!! Amazing they imagined. Untill the migrating hoard of migrating threatened Monarch Butterflies settled IN THAT test acreage and died. With hindsight you say, "couldnt they have guessed?," but in the end you can also see how whomever developed that was "blinded by the light." Or maybe the promise of fortune. And the goodie two shoes story was used as cover untill it was exposed by the universes irony, maybe its sense of humor.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...salmon-n467051

Now you can read the brainwashing articles saying frakenfish will save the wild fish from being caught by the overfishing commercial fleet. No word about what the real culprit is other than "climate change." Its all become a distracting excuse from the real issue. Get the adults and juveniles around the dams if they wont come down. Thats the only way. I realize the franken fish os supposed to suppliment Atlantic Salmon but that is only a first step....
    Last edited by Walter; 11-22-2015 at 10:33 AM.