Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter fish?

Default Winter fish?

Just wondering if anyone has gotten into any winter fish yet on the American. I'm hoping the last couple rains have put the scent in the water and has coaxed some fish to head on up the system. Good luck to anyone heading out in search of some nice chrome!!!

Tight lines,
    Gary

If you get out every morning don't be surprised if you hook one. But still a bit early. It's all about putting in time on the river.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Here is a winter fish from Watt Avenue tonight

Now that I got your attention it is really an early Rogue winter fish taken in December.

Nice systems 2 reel Gordon, I have the 10/11. Oh and that is as chrome as they get, beautiful !

Nice fish Gordon! I was freaking out till I saw that little last sentence.... You had me about ready to head down to Watt right now!

What'd you catch that guy on? San Juan worm and a bobber? lol

Caught it bobber fishing with my bead head nymph. About 15 Dec and was the earliest winter fish I've taken on the Rogue.

Great Langenbeck hijacks . Way to provide helpful information to his question, I'm sure he was completely unaware that you catch lots of fish on the Rouge.

I have tried many times to get an early November fish on the American. I've heard of gear guys getting a few around late november, mostly up to at Nimbus. There are a few there but they are very few and far between. Especially with all of the salmon still being extra territorial.

Old Joe Shirshac says that you might be a winter run in December around Watt Avenue.

Check with Andy at Kiene's American Fly Fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It used to be common to get a hot winter (9-12#) steelie in November on the lower AR....

but the drought and Nimbus hatchery management have changed that.

In fact, the drought and warmer water and CDFW's intention and actions have been for the last many years to get away from the Eel R. strain and produce something closer to the original, summer-run steelies which existed pre-1955. It's not at all practical but neither is expecting a wild, coastal strain of fish to travel 100 miles through a warm, deoxygenated, silted in, polluted and damned/dammed watershed to get to a river flowing at 500 cfs to be spawned artificially or try and spawn in artificial redds composed of 50% cobbles and 50% silt in 1 ft of water while flossers, snaggers and poachers are trying to prevent them from doing so...

That said... fish your arse off and you WILL find that needle in a haystack as Jeff, Andy or Kranhold Bros would call it~

Lol, nice post Mark!! You hit the nail on the head. Hopefully they can find that strain or a strain that can work out for the A's conditions. I know it's been discussed for some time, just be nice to see it happen. Stopped by the hatchery yesterday and didn't see one steelhead in the ladders or holding pin, pretty sad because this time of year you will see some mixed in. Well, gots to go ... In search of needle !!