Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SUV In the Trinity, Anyone know about this?

In the grand scheme of things... it could always be a better or worse scenario. Someone died on the AR today. It will happen to me someday most likely but today it was someone else's turn...

Well cat has been out of that bag

Jon first of all thank you for attempting to check in with me, I greatly appreciate it.

Secondly, if no one has figured it out, it was yours truly who lost the rig in the river.

Here's the shortest version of the story that I feel like repeating...

I started to winch my boat up at the end of my guide day on the trinity. Got 3 weighted cranks on the winch getting my 6 week old boat on my 6 week old trailer. As soon as the weight of the boat hung on the trailer, the rig started rolling backwards. I was on the passenger side of the vehicle and I ran to the front door to try to get my truck in park. Funny thing, the truck was already in park with the e-brake set. It stated rolling faster at that point my torso was still in the vehicle. I get stuck in there (stand in the door jam of your car and have your wife throw your car in reverse if you don't believe me) and don't make it out until the weight of the water slows things down and my waders fill up. Swam to shore, walked away and instantly craved a coots light. Vehicle was out the next day with an unbelievable amount of help from Steve Townzen (scuba Steve now) and redneck tow truck driver. Vehicle was insured and my guide gear, wallet and gun were in the boat. Only loss is a iPhone and a 04 4Runner.

Lance, thanks for the kind words about me rowing my ass off, but coots light has too many calories for that to happen.

Winxp-man....it seems like you tried to imply like I don't know what I'm doing...I have more days on the river in the past 5 years than anyone on this board except for ryan johnston. I find your childish comments downright ignorant and insulting.

Shit happens!!!! Anyone who was there will tell you that I laughed right after it happened. Cheers guys.
    Last edited by Darrin.Deel; 11-17-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Also, anyone who wants more photos can add me as a friend on Facebook and check things out. Plenty of banter, bullshit and photos on there!

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    Lance if you're responding to me. Well I don't believe in karma. As for funny never said it was. I said I chuckled at the pic. Third you plain and simple need to make sure you know what you are doing. Heck a tank you would say could go through about anything but even they can get ruined if things are done without much thought. If it's wet and gravel I would not advise to launch unless you really know what you are doing.

Either way like is said yes sucks it happened!! I guess typing on forums sometimes sucks not being able to quite understand statements to the full extent.
    Yes the comment was for you.

I live in and work in a world of Karma, I 100% believe in it.

Thanks Steelies/26c3
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Seems like lots of misunderstanding here. I wrote a bigger post but decided to delete it. Everyone is entitled to say what they want. As I always say freedom of speech is still some what freedom of speech in the US.

@Darrin didn't mean to offend you! All I said was based on what I read on FB in a post or two. And I didn't see anyone post that the person that it happened to had experience in launching boats for 5 years.

@ Steelie and Lance I don't believe in Karma I believe in God. So to this I everything happens for a reason. Can't say why but it does.

So all in all I apologize and I guess no reason to respond further.

Take care and tight lines for who will be on the river.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Hey Darrin, sorry for your misfortune but it happens to the best of us, me included. A few years ago I was launching my Jon boat by myself on the lower sac at Bend, like I had 100 times before. Backed the boat into the water and jumped out of my Tahoe to grab the boat line. However, the SUV was still in reverse. Went to jump back in the vehicle, I slipped on the running board,(damn flip flops) but I was able to grab the door and pull myself into the Tahoe and hit the breaks. By this time my boat was heading down river. Without hesitating I dove in and swam after the boat grabbed it and pulled it to shore. My back tire was under water but no damage. Realized I lost my sunglasses, spotted them 6 feet under water and dove down and retrieved them. That water is cold even in summer time.

Nice looking boat.

I used to work in a boat yard on the east coast and EVERYONE, staff included does this once! I never went all the way in, but floated the back end of the yard's station wagon. That water can pull!!!!

Darrin....welcome to the U-boat commander club. Happens to the best of us.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Darrin I'm just glad you weren't injured or worse.

You'll be back in full operation before you expect.

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

That is one way to get a new rig to go with that sweet boat!

Just making light of a terrible situation.....!!!

Sorry that happened....hope you rebound okay after that loss.....

So happy to hear no one was hurt or worse........!!!
    Last edited by itsbenlong; 11-19-2015 at 08:27 PM.