Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson rods?

Default Anderson rods?

I'm looking for any opinions on the Nova 6126 or the JHC series 5 wts. I love my sage rods but just want to try something different for summer/fall fish on the Klamath and Trinity Rivers.

I have not casted the Nova but know a few people that have it and said it is a awesome stick. I do own a couple of Gary's 6 weights and absolutely love them, smooth casting rods and fun to fish all day long. These rods are his 1296 & 1346. I believe Gary will let you try his rods out if you cover the shipping, give him a ring and check it out.

Gary's rods rock and he is truly a great guy. I had an original 1204 that a friend broke - sent to to Gary and said I would be up to get it at an upcoming Clave on the Rogue. When I got there he said he no longer had access to that particular blank but he sold me a brand new higher end rod for $100. He also supplies a line of your choosing (skagit or scandi) for his rods

My fishing partner bought the JCH 6126 and loves it! We just returned from the Klamath and he fished everything from a Scandi to 10 feet of T-11 on the rod. The rod shined on all occasions. How can we argue when you have John Hazel design a rod and Gary Anderson build it? Pretty cool.

I have a JHC 6126 and I think it's perfect for the Trinity. It's really easy casting; I can cover the whole river with few blown casts and I'm no Bill Lowe. There is one for sale on Spey Pages.

Recent Klamath trip with Jason Hartwick, Rich Zellman and Whitney Gould gave me the opportunity to try a 1255 Anderson a Skagit head with 10' of T-17 and a floating tip/leader; it's a sweet rod. Also liked the Sage Accel in same size.
    Robert

If you're interested in the JHC, make sure its the new model. Anderson is using a much improved blank on the latest rods. Beautiful rod.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151202_092223691.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	11467

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up getting a used nova 6126 and finally got on the river with it yesterday. I fished a skagit compact 450 with 10' of t11 and was impressed with this combo. It doesn't quite have the feel and super fast recovery of my other 6126, but one thing that stood out was much better lifting strength with the sinktip and leech. Can't wait to try out scandi and rage heads. The rod is definitely a keeper, especially after getting a couple native hens during my first session fishing it!

Right on, way to break her in! Love the action of Gary's rods and I'll bet a 420 rage would sing on that rod. I have a couple of Gary's 6wts. my line breakdown is 400 Scandi , 420 rage and 450 Skagit. Thanks for the update and pic!!

KobeS - Good choice, and two nice fish on the maiden voyage. Nice

Late to the party here but I'll chime in on Gary's rods. I have a few of his spey rods and the wife uses a 12'1" 5wt Nova. The Nova isn't as fancy as some of his others but if you lay off the gas it has that same smooth deep loading Anderson feel as all of his rods. IMO his trout speys are second to none even considering Sage, Burkie, etc. All said he has a great selection of rods.