Thread: Rogue Winter Season Questions

Default Rogue Winter Season Questions

Could someone give me an idea of what to expect on the middle & upper Rogue for this winter, mid-November through March? In terms of what is the timing of the run(s)? A good friend just bought a home 1/2 way between Grass Pants and Medford, happens to have a nice shop and covered parking with hook-ups for my RV. Considering moving it up there for the winter form current location on the upper Trinity and trying to decide on my timing.
    Also wondering about the road from Cave Junction to Happy Camp on the Klamath; is it a viable alternative to traveling up the Klamath to I-5 and over Siskiyou Summit? Something tells me it may be a seasonal route?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Robert

Default Rogue Winter Steelhead

Attached is a graph of both summer and winter steelhead on the Rogue when Gold Ray Dam existed. Summer fish are here until about 10 Dec and winter fishing gets going about 15 Feb and runs through the middle of April. In the section of the Rogue you are talking about, March is the top winter month. Typical winter run is about 8,000 fish of which about 85% are wild fish. I built this graph using ODFW data.🐟🐟🐟s
    Last edited by Langenbeck; 11-03-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Adding stuff

Thanks Gordon.
    Robert

If this is the road that parallels the lower reaches of Indian Creek, I've driven it before back when it was legal to fish tribs of the Klamath(~ mid-1990's), but I've never driven it all the way to the Rogue watershed. All of the length of it I drove was paved, but I don't know if the entire route is. Most of the longer permanent FS roads in the KMP that I've been are not paved for their entire length.

The FS roads in the KMP are all fairly high gradient roads, and even with no snow or ice, expect to encounter lots of rock on this road after a few storms. Personally, I wouldn't try it unless we're having a dry winter, and I wouldn't attempt it in a motorhome during the winter.

A good rule of thumb driving the FS roads in the KMP even during the summer, is don't drive anywhere that you can't or aren't willing to walk out of. Unless you're on a peak and in an area that has been clearcut, you likely won't get cell service.

@ycflyfisher; that's the road. After further investigation it's no shorter than taking Klamath River road to I-5 and doesn't look like a road to take a trailer over in winter. Initial thoughts were it'd be a new and scenic route, but think I'll save it for later when I'm not pulling a trailer.
    Thanks.
    Robert