Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any luck during this storm?

Default Any luck during this storm?

Just wondering if anyone got out on the river during this storm? I wanted to get out but the wife already had me committed to other endeavors... Maybe I can live vicariously through some of you with a good report? Hopefully some American River steel got turned on by this stormy weather and darker skies? Good luck to those of you who are heading out in the next couple days to fish this weather!

Tight lines.
    Gary

Well I can't give you any update on the fishing but I can sympathize with you on wanting to fish but the wife having other ideas Jeff

Like a Flyfishing mentor has told me numerous times, divorce rate is high in flyfishers! We want to fish and that's what's on the mind, if not fishing its tying! I wish you all well!

I floated the lower Yuba with a friend today. Little to no action. A few lively small salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Like a Flyfishing mentor has told me numerous times, divorce rate is high in flyfishers! We want to fish and that's what's on the mind, if not fishing its tying! I wish you all well!
    Not quite...
    I was busy welding a trailer together for a new raft. Fishing raft of course! It's been a project that has consumed a lot of cash, energy, and of course a lot of fishing time! Thankfully, she'll be done this week and I'll be back fishing again.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    hmm...raft......fish hooks?

Never fished out of a float tube or pontoon? Rafts are nothing new.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Do still steelhead/trout typically "hide" during stormy weather? I know some other species of fish don't usually bite when it's wet weather, just wondering if that is true for steelhead/trout.

Quote Originally Posted by jerole1978 View Post
    Do still steelhead/trout typically "hide" during stormy weather? I know some other species of fish don't usually bite when it's wet weather, just wondering if that is true for steelhead/trout.

It's been my experience that just the opposite occurs. I'd much rather fish for steelhead in drizzly/light rain than in clear, sunny weather. They seem to move more then and the bite is generally better (for me at least). I just got back from the Klamath and it rained last Tuesday/early Wednesday. Fishing was better on Wednesday than the other two days fished, although we did catch adults every day we fished.
    Mike

Rain makes happy Steel! But I have also witnessed pods of steelhead in the rain on the move, no interest in the fly and actually turn away and head back to the depths. One thing is for sure this rain has put some scent in the water for the winter returns

Made it out for a couple hours today. Seems like the salmon fishermen and baitdunkers were eager to get their combat fishing game on today. Most of the riffles I tried to fish had at least 5 guys fishing them already. Ended up doing some casting practice at Watt ave and had a handful of small ticks and taps but nothing wanted to commit. Also found a nice leak in my waders... 2 min after stepping into the river, my right leg was filled to the knee with water. Not the best day for me. Hopefully everyone else had a better outing!