Thread: Lake Davis

Default Lake Davis

I've been keeping an eye on Lake Davis hoping to spot some of those beautiful rainbow trout working the skinny water. No luck so far but just being out, walking the shore line with my trout dog Woody has been reward in itself.

It's a beautiful time of the year with the fall colors abundant and the outside temps below freezing. No ice on the lake yet that I've come across. We've had the lake almost completely to our selves other than the Forest Service which is in the process of a controlled burn along the west side of the lake. I did see two guys put in a sixteen plus ft drift boat off Jenkins Point, how they were able to back the trailer off into the mud without getting stuck is beyond me. We exchanged greeting as they quietly rowed by Jonny's Cove apparently on their way to Fungawi.

The lake level continues to drop. This is the lowest I've seen her in all my years of fishing Lake Davis.

I've enclosed some shots taken on the drive in and others from Bluff Cove up on the north end of the lake. Sorry no fish.

On a side note the city of Portola recently lost it's lawsuit on all three counts to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. I must admit I'm somewhat pleased to hear this was the outcome as DFW bent over backwards to comply with Portola during the 2007 treatment of the lake.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam

Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Lovely report.
    Sometimes don't need fish or fish photos to tell a lovely story.
    Thanks for sharing