Thread: Feather River Hook-up -- NOW WHAT????

Thumbs up Feather River Hook-up -- NOW WHAT????

Hi All.. My name is Mark. I am a new resident to Sacto region - having moved 'back' down from Portland OR. Anyhows -- I venture north from Sac to Oroville on Sunday afternoon - to get out of town and see if a 9 weight fly rod 'really' could successfully bring in a stealy. I've never even fished for Stealhead - so be kind please, ima crome virgin I suppose.

Crossed river on 162 - drove to fist riffle section (just as you enter the gravel road). Lots of half-dying salmon splashing about (counted maybe 15-20) - and I was lucky not to hook one of those. Fished for 1.5 hours.

I did hook what I THINK was a stealhead -- it soft-grabbed my pink-egg/nymph combo -- i set and WOW -- it lasted all of 10 seconds before the 4x broke - but what a 10 seconds that was. I understand the addiction now. The angler next to me tried to coach me..but I couldn't really hear anything he was saying. Still, I think my rainbow-rig was no match -- any thoughts.

The section was not crowded - counted 5 anglers total.

I may go up this coming weekend - 31st or 1st -- if anyone wishes to join me - please write back.

Mark K

Glad you had fun, welcome to Sac and the forum.

A 9wt is plenty for steelhead. Maybe up your tippet size? I like 2X for steelhead nymphing, they don't seem to be particularly line shy and it would give you a chance if you do hook some salmon. I swing for steelies with maxima ultragreen 10lb which has a .012 diameter, which in a tippet would be 01X and looks huge but it doesn't seem to bother them.

On a side note, people don't generally describe exact locations they are fishing on a river. I don't care but some do.

-John

John nailed it. I have had steelhead break 10 and 12 pound Maxima both on the Trinity and in Canada so don't worry about going to a heavier line. Steelhead fishing is a matter of persistence, I have gone for as long as a year without landing one and then hit a 6 fish day.

Yes, a 9 weight rod with 4x tippet is not a good balance.

You either use a heavier tippet with that 9 weight rod or you use a lighter rod with that 4x tippet.

People use 9 weight around here for salmon and stripers.

Indo nymphing for Steelhead is mostly done with a 6 weight rod. Probably #5, 6 and 7 are the most common sizes.

Swinging with a single hand fly rod with wet flies for steelhead is mostly done with a 6, 7 or 8 weight rod.

You can use a larger tippet when swinging steelhead flies.......1x tippet is a good size.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........