Thread: Winter patterns and techniques?

Default Winter patterns and techniques?

Although I have been unsuccessful this fall trying for the halfpounders, I am feeling optimistic about the winter steelhead run... Not sure why... I'm just looking for advice for our local "river" (lower AR) on how to fish for the bigger fish in the colder waters, what patterns to fish, how to rig for them...etc. Thanks for the help!

Gary

Hi Sheep. Hey just a couple thoughts for you.

Don't give up on the fall half pounders just yet. I was down practicing with my 7/8 on Thursday night and in the last 20 minutes of light a fish was slurping some caddis in a lane every few minutes. I've had some success this fall just focusing on these guys the last 40 mins of light. That would be my advice...it's not on the swing but a small emerging caddis on the swing will work if you prefer. Key is just find a feeding fish.

Secondly, you're already set for winter fish if you ask me. Mark K. has already prepared you well for those fish, I think you're just early to the game. However small leeches along with his sculpin are key flies for the A. Some grabs are just around the corner, but that corner is months away.

Last season early on I changed things up a bit and got a fish on a dee fly with a floating line, but that was a first for me...I just did it at this spot in the river based on the flow and the run where I was, it may never happen again on the A' but sometimes you just gotta follow your instincts when reading the water. The third pic below is Mark's fish early in the season last year. I think you're probably more ready than you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Although I have been unsuccessful this fall trying for the halfpounders, I am feeling optimistic about the winter steelhead run... Not sure why... I'm just looking for advice for our local "river" (lower AR) on how to fish for the bigger fish in the colder waters, what patterns to fish, how to rig for them...etc. Thanks for the help!

Gary

Hey Sheep,
    Can't offer you much local knowledge regarding the lower American since I've only fished it a few times for steelhead, and have yet to catch one there. However, I think winter steelheading in general shares many similar challenges from river to river. First off, learn the water. You are already well on your way it sounds like, but knowing where fish tend to hold, and how to fish those areas well is enormously important. One difference, *in general*, for winter fishing is the need to get down and stay down, generally. Not sure of specific patterns for the American, but I usually opt for bigger/flashier stuff with more movement when water temps are colder and or more colored (or anytime I think that I might be dealing with less active/aggressive fish). This can sometimes make a difference. Keeping your flies sparse can really help to get them to sink more quickly, and it's worth watching your flies swim a bit in front of you to see how they behave. Lastly, confidence is king as you just never know when that big grab will come...
    Good luck,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Thanks for the help Jason and Bryan!

Bryan, your post has immensely increased my confidence! Mark has worked with me so much and he has given me more help and knowledge than I could have ever hoped for from a guide. I definitely need to buy that guy a beer! I guess I am just losing my confidence since I haven't hooked a single fish yet. I know in the back of my mind I'm doing everything correctly that mark has taught me, but when nothing happens, I start to doubt myself. There's at least 2 times a week that I get out and fish for about 4 hours. Sometimes more, but rarely less. Hopefully my persistency will pay off! Beautiful fish too btw!!! Jason, what patterns do you usually use that are big and flashy? Also do you use heavy weighted ones or just use heavy leaders/tips to get the flies down? Thanks again for your help!