Thread: Any American River Salmon yet?

Default Any American River Salmon yet?

I was planning on driving a few hours to check out the river with the fly rod and wanted to know if it is worth the drive. Please let me know guys I have been dying to throw some flies

I have heard reports in a few different areas that there are salmon in. Mid River and upper, so it's good to say everywhere ! It's super low and warm but it's always good to be out on the water casting and swinging away and better yet beats the honey dew list

OP.......... PM inboud.

I've seen gear guys landing a few salmon in the deep slots in the mid and upper river (in the mornings).

P.S. Ran into an amiable gear guy who says he's been fishing the river for 30 years. He said one of his friends has already caught some steelies using spoons. Kind of hard to believe, but this guy seemed pretty honest.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 10-13-2015 at 11:07 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    I've seen gear guys landing a few salmon in the deep slots in the mid and upper river (in the mornings).

P.S. Ran into an amiable gear guy who says he's been fishing the river for 30 years. He said one of his friends has already caught a few steelies approaching 30" in the upper river using spoons. Kind of hard to believe, but this guy seemed pretty honest.

If his friend's name was Mark Lynn I'd believe it.

Actually, I think it was Mark Lynn that I was talking to! Tall, stringy guy carrying two rods. He told me his name, and Mark Lynn seems to ring a bell (though I'm horrible with names).
    Last edited by Troutsource; 10-13-2015 at 08:19 AM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

That was Mark! He fishes everyday and knows the river and a lot of people.

I talked to him for 30 min. and it could have gone on forever but I was with my son who was getting hungry. He had stories ranging from a giant pod of 300 stripers to an old-timer friend of his who fished steelhead and salmon in Folsom before the dam. We also covered algae growth, Folsom Lake thermocline (or lack thereof) and pikeminnows. He was a real fountain of knowledge.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 10-13-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Steelie26c3 ! Mark is the spoon man!! Knows the river well and is a fishy guy to say the least!