Thread: Bahamas Report

Default Bahamas Report

I just returned from a trip to Great Inagua, Bahamas. Unlike most Bahamian islands Great Inagua does not have the long, wide, sandy flats, normally thought of there. Although there are small ocean side flats, there is a vast inland estuary that is home to thousands of good size bonefish, permit, etc.

We were primarily targeting permit, but after 3 days, and only 2 shots apiece, we decided it was time to make a move. Although the bonefish are fun, a 1/2 day catching them was about all we wanted. We moved to the huge inland lake, operated by the Morton Salt Company. This is a very unusal lake, in that fresh sea water is pumped into the lake, along with many fish species, including tarpon, permit, snook, bonefish, etc. Once they are pumped into the lake (as embryos), they are landlocked.

My partner was anxious to find a big snook, so he manned the deck for most of 2 mornings. We did eventually find several snook, and one about 25 lbs., but even a perfectly placed fly couldn't interest this big girl.

It was the tarpon fishing that "made the trip". We were fishing shallow, clear, mangrove spotted, water that was loaded with nice size tarpon between 25 and 40 lbs. The action was almost constant, as my partner and I took turns jumping tarpon in the tight confines of the mangrove forest. (It reminded me of Isla Blanca, north of Cancun.)
    I must admit that this type of clear water sight fishing, for one of the most exciting, high flying, species on the planet, is probably my favorite fly fishing-anywhere!

Check out my blog for more story and pictures!

http://leehaskin.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
    Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	11241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0008 4.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	11240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonefish 8 lb closeup web AAA.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	11239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018 4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	11242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	11243