Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak fishing

Curious as to what others priorities are in a Kayak for waters in N. CAL, I have been trying to decide on a model and material I would prefer and I am having a hard time deciding on whats important to me. Originally I thought that the ability to stand was high on my priorities but I am not so sure anymore.

Some of the priorities I am currently considered by order of importance are:

1. Overall weight
    2. Speed through the water (I don't want a slow barge)
    3. Comfortable seat
    4. Stability (I do not want to reach for a snag or a fish and feel like I am going to flip).
    5. Ability to fish some class 1 maybe class II water.
    6. Ability to stand

Any other considerations I should think about?

Areas I intend to go are:
    Sierra reservoirs
    Fall river
    Baum Lake
    Lower Sac (below churn creek)
    American (Lower)
    Lewiston (Upper and lower sections)
    Delta
    SF Bay around Alameda Rockwall

I am 6'5" and 300lbs so I need the larger boats.

Short list is currently:
    Nucanoe Pursuit
    Eddyline C130
    Eddyline Carribean 14
    Wilderness ATAK 140
    Wilderness Commander 140
    Jackson Kayak Coosa HD

Any thoughts on these models? I will look in to the others mentioned here. Obviously the Eddyline is the lightest of the bunch but higher priced and I don't know if they can handle Class 1 and Class II water.

Edit: How much over your own weight is recommended when looking at capacities? For example if I weigh 300lbs is a Kayak rated for 325lbs sufficient or should I consider 400lbs a minimum capacity.

Regards,

Tim C.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 09-26-2015 at 02:25 PM.

I just bought the C1315
    It offered the most in the way of boat features to suit my needs which are:
    stability, I'm over 60
    light weight, I car top
    easy paddling, speed with good tracking
    electric motor compatible
    versatile to many fishing applications, still water, delta sloughs, class I valley rivers, inshore salt
    durable, the thermo composite hull on Eddyline boats is very strong
    casting space on the deck for flyline, didn't want any compartment space between my legs

I demo tested the Jackson Cuda LT and the Coosa HD. Both are good boats but the C135 rated out as the best for my needs although more $$
    All of the boats you listed come with the Yak Attack option or you can customize then to your need (my choice)
    Lastly if you weigh in at 300 lbs I would consider a boat rated for 400 lbs or higher. The C135 is 450. The Jackson Big Rig might be an option for you.

Fly right thanks for the input, let us know how the C135 works out for you. I am currently leaning towards the Carribean 14 due to the weight, at 50 lbs it should be easy to carry around and has a 400lb rating. I leave my canoe up at my friends place near Alpine Lake as at around 100lbs it was too much to carry around by myself. The 14 is around the same weight as my Pontoon boat and that is easy to move around. The Kayak should be a lot faster on the water though and better for saltwater fishing runs close to shore. That C135 at 65lbs may be better for me as far as weight capacity not sure about the extra 20lbs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Right View Post
    I just bought the C1315
    It offered the most in the way of boat features to suit my needs which are:
    stability, I'm over 60
    light weight, I car top
    easy paddling, speed with good tracking
    electric motor compatible
    versatile to many fishing applications, still water, delta sloughs, class I valley rivers, inshore salt
    durable, the thermo composite hull on Eddyline boats is very strong
    casting space on the deck for flyline, didn't want any compartment space between my legs

I demo tested the Jackson Cuda LT and the Coosa HD. Both are good boats but the C135 rated out as the best for my needs although more $$
    All of the boats you listed come with the Yak Attack option or you can customize then to your need (my choice)
    Lastly if you weigh in at 300 lbs I would consider a boat rated for 400 lbs or higher. The C135 is 450. The Jackson Big Rig might be an option for you.

Grats! I'm jealous, that looks to be sweet yak. I need to demo one, but maybe I shouldn't and spare my wallet the pain. My C14 gets it done, it's alot to spend and for me it would be dedicated to stillwater.

Quote Originally Posted by golfish View Post
    That boat is sweet, I'm trying to decide if I need a dedicated boat for stillwater, I may head out to Lodi to demo one. It's pricey though, could get a Hobie instead.
    I have a hobie pro angler 12. I can stand up with a stripping bucket anchor in the bay in white caps and chuck flies. very stable, smooth and a great ride. I paid $1900 for mine in 2012 it was a demo.

That is a great yak! If I didn't have to car top I would probably own a pro angler as well. For my situation the Eddyline C135 was the boat of choice. With the pro angler at about 110 lbs you will probably need to invest in a trailer or one of those side rack lifts unless you are about half my age and yoked.

Hey Tim , great thread. I used outlaw x5 pontoon for lakes and rivers. I like idea of kayak for sloughs and to get around having to inflate and put toon together every day.

can you anchor steadily in kayak? What about controlling a drift? How does that work on say Fall River when you want to anchor up from a pod?

Thanks for any info
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Hey Tim , great thread. I used outlaw x5 pontoon for lakes and rivers. I like idea of kayak for sloughs and to get around having to inflate and put toon together every day.

can you anchor steadily in kayak? What about controlling a drift? How does that work on say Fall River when you want to anchor up from a pod?

Thanks for any info
    Steve
    For moving water I use a 10 pound pyramid anchor. On the delta I drag 4 foot of heavy chain to slow me down.

For tons of kayak fishing info I highly recommend you sign up at "http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/". Great bunch of guys with tons of info that I fish with. We do everything from stillwater to moving water to ocean fishing and crabbing.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Scott thanks for info will defo sign up!

Cheers
    Steve