Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs and the Pit River

Thanks Randy.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by chapmag View Post
    I have a 14 month old English Lab that I'm training to be my fishing buddy. I'd like to fish the Pit for a few days sometime in the next month.

My last dog hated that river. He couldn't navigate the big rocks hidden by the tall streamside grasses. So he worked his way back to the woods away from the streamside rocks, and got lost (which is a different story).

Has anyone discovered a nice reach for dogs on the Pit? I'm open to dog training advice too. Thanks.
    No, I haven't, and for the reasons you and others describe plus more, its a bad idea. Off-leash is not allowed on Forest Service lands (Pitt, McCloud included) and many other places.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    No, I haven't, and for the reasons you and others describe plus more, its a bad idea. Off-leash is not allowed on Forest Service lands (Pitt, McCloud included) and many other places.
    Chapmag, I just can't let it end on this dungpile. I and most other bird hunters run dogs on Forest Service lands on an almost daily basis for months at a time. It's totally legal. Introduce your new dog to the river environs slowly, at a really easy spot. Make every outing an event. Throw balls in the water etc. Introduction to moving water is comparable to introducing to gunshot. Take it easy and make it enjoyable for the dog at the early stages. Make it all about him, not you. He'll get so fired up about going to the river you'll have to teach him to stay or he'll be swimming with your nymph, which is a good reason to teach him to 'stay' also. You can find books and online info quite easily to accomplish this. Shoot me a line if you need any help with this.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Please don't misinform

don't think so dude, bring a leash.
    Last edited by amoeba; 10-02-2015 at 09:53 AM.

here you go:

http://petfriendlytravel.com/national_parks

Bring a leash, and have a nice day.

If you read what was linked, dogs only need to be leashed in developed areas and interpretive trails of National Forests, which is a very, very small percentage of forest land. All other forest land is off leash, dude.

Yep, forest lands, off leash, should be under voice control. National parks on leash on the pavement, very few areas in a national park dogs are allowed. Big difference between the two areas.