Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crowley Lake ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Scheidt View Post
    I know it's $10 one the road in to the upper part of Crowley also, 6 bays, green banks areas. I think you can get in to the upper part of the lake on the east side for no fee.
    There are (were?) access fees to get out on the dirt roads at the north end of the lake? The dirt roads off of Benton Crossing Rd.? Not just day use parking fee envelops at the end of the road but an actual choke-point to restrict access a mile away from the lake. Wow. This is even more abusive than I imagined.

I chalked up the access fee to the Crowley Lake Fish Camp marina as plain 'ol short-sighted greed. They could have easily got more than $10 out of me in honest commerce (food, drinks, flies at the store, day use parking, float tube launch fee) had I been able to go down to the marina and take a look.

But, to charge fees to access almost every part of the lake is downright weird. Who is enforcing or mandating this? Is this the doings of LADWP?
    Last edited by loose_shoes; 09-23-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Good to know about no fee to get to green banks and 6 bays area. I am heading there in 3 weeks and I will probably go to that area, so I can report to you guys how and when the fee is collected. If the $10 fee goes to grading that one heck of a washboard road, then I am good with the $10. That road to the north end used to beat us up, bumpty-bump.
    A bit optimistic about McGee bay doing well at least last weekend. I was there for most of the day, I wouldn't call what I observed as much catching.
    We also got the water temp at 64 to 65.
    Bob

Bob......your right about the wash board road....the faster i drive the smother the road got.....but then you lose some control...lol

Crowley Lake is one of those special places that can grow some very large trout, i like to fish from my float tube and rip a 4 inch streamer for those big toads.....i don't catch very many trout that way, but i love the grab and the fight of those big toads.

Bob, In spirit, I'm with you if the money goes towards road grading. But that 'if' is a big 'if'. I've tried to do some on-line research but I haven't been able to determine who is collecting the money or how it is intended to be used. Perhaps some of the guides or shop owners in the area know the whole story.

Let's face it - ten bucks ain't gonna kill me and if the money actually goes to road and facility improvements then I'd consider it money well spent and I'd feel satisfied that I'm contributing to the greater common good. However, after a lifetime of unencumbered access to public lands coming across an 'unexplained' fee collection roadblock smacks of a shakedown.

It seems to me that a little information would go a long way in managing public perception.

How about this modest proposal. Next year put up signs at the fee collection kiosks that say;
    "Access fees collected in 2015 = $NNNN.00"
    "2015 Road grading and facility maintenance budget = $YYYYY.00"
    "Upgrades and road maintenance work performed in 2015" (followed by a list of actual work done around the lake)
    "Access fees contributed XX% towards improved access of Crowley Lake.
    "Thanks to everyone for helping improve access to Crowley lake! Signed - [whatever authorizing agency] Visit our website for more information"

There you have it. Education, information and justification in one glance and it puts an end to me spouting off on something about which I don't really have much information.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Loose_Shoes: None of that land is actually public land as it is owned by LADWP. I don't think that they collect the fee but I'm not sure. It is probably collected by the lease holder. Call Crowley lake fish camp and ask for Abby. She is the manager and I'm sure that she would be happy to answer your questions 1st hand. That way you don't have to go by internet 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand info. Good luck

Hello guys, I'm sort of chiming in here late to the game, but figured I would throw out my opinion, after all, everyone has one, and everyone's seems to be different...

1. I have been fishing Crowley for 20 years and have never once paid a fee for the dirt roads in the north end. Best I can tell you is that they said no more camping in the past few years. But again, I've never paid a access fee for the North End. Maybe this is the year it has changed...

2. Where I live, in the beautiful state of California, where you are 'charged for everything', I am used to paying 'access' fees, or otherwise known as 'daily use fees' All of the local lakes around my home town require at least a $10 entry fee just to get past the gate. Yes, it drives me nuts. Yes, I hate it. I guess the money goes towards paying for trash cleanup, management, bathrooms, etc etc etc all the normal stuff. One day I drove myself all the way to Bullards Bar outside of Sacramento and low and behold, I could launch my boat and access the lake, and didn't face a single FEE. Amazing! I think this stuff is becoming very few and far between. Don't get me started on access/day use fees, I hate them, but they seem to be everywhere and there's not much I'm going to be able to do about it besides stop visiting those places if I so wish.

I've sometimes asked guys at the gate if I could have 10 minutes to 'look around' and then come back out without paying the fee. If you are nice, seems like this usually works. After all, they give you a receipt/sticker when you pay, and if you park and use the lake without one of those, you could get a ticket from the local ranger/manager, etc.

Anyways, Crowley is a great lake and I hope this one experience hasn't ruined it for you. I think if you weren't in a rush you would have been able to enjoy it more and figure out how things run, etc. I hope someday you can plan a trip back and enjoy!

- Ryan
    Last edited by ryanerb; 09-30-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Loose_Shoes. Just wondering. Did you ever contact Abby at Crowley Lake Fish camp and get answers to your question. I think a few people on here would like to know what you found out.