Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crowley Lake ?

Default Crowley Lake ?

I was thinking about doing a fall color road trip down 395 to fish Crowley and was wondering how the drought conditions have effected Crowley fly fishing this fall.
    Last year i fished 4 different lakes in a week on our fall color trip, Heenan, Crowley, Davis, Frenchman, and this year maybe i can squeeze in Pyramid.
    Last edited by gene goss; 09-19-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Check this out and you will be on your way tomorrow.
    http://www.erniegulleyflyfishingguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Langenbeck View Post
    Check this out and you will be on your way tomorrow.
    http://www.erniegulleyflyfishingguideservice.com
    Thank Langenbeck......looks like i can include Crowley Lake into my fall color trip.

I have always heard that September is good month over there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

While on an east side trip earlier this summer I wanted to take a look at Crowley while I was passing by on Hwy. 395. I wasn't necessarily going there to fish it but just go down to the marina and take a look around.

I exited at the main Crowley Lake exit off 395. There was kiosk just off the highway that was charging for access to the marina area. WTF? $10, I think. Seriously? I understand charging for boat launching or daily parking but just to go down there and take a look around for a while? Maybe spend some money at the marina store? No, thanks. I didn't feel like burning a lot of time exploring for other access points down to the lake so I left. The whole encounter left me with bad vibes about Crowley.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

I fished Crowley 3 days ago. We rented a boat, there was no $10 charge to get in since we were renting a boat, but you are right, $10 to get in. I didn't know public lakes were inside something, but I guess they are.
    Anyway, there were 12 boats and 8 float tubes in one area of McGee bay. Everyone was watching bobbers and midging. The only one catching was a guide in one spot. I think he had the GPS coordinates wired in, since he didn't move 5 feet from where he had 2 anchors out for hours, clients watching bobbers and catching nice fish. Three of us got one fat 18" brown and missed a few strikes.

I would call the fishing slow, since we tried other areas and didn't see much catching.
    Don't let me persuade you one way or the other, there are still weeds and lots of fish there. We didn't get em, doesn't mean others don't.
    I know it's $10 one the road in to the upper part of Crowley also, 6 bays, green banks areas. I think you can get in to the upper part of the lake on the east side for no fee.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Scheidt View Post
    I fished Crowley 3 days ago. We rented a boat, there was no $10 charge to get in since we were renting a boat, but you are right, $10 to get in. I didn't know public lakes were inside something, but I guess they are.
    Anyway, there were 12 boats and 8 float tubes in one area of McGee bay. Everyone was watching bobbers and midging. The only one catching was a guide in one spot. I think he had the GPS coordinates wired in, since he didn't move 5 feet from where he had 2 anchors out for hours, clients watching bobbers and catching nice fish. Three of us got one fat 18" brown and missed a few strikes.

I would call the fishing slow, since we tried other areas and didn't see much catching.
    Don't let me persuade you one way or the other, there are still weeds and lots of fish there. We didn't get em, doesn't mean others don't.
    I know it's $10 one the road in to the upper part of Crowley also, 6 bays, green banks areas. I think you can get in to the upper part of the lake on the east side for no fee.

Bob
    Access fee for Crowley Lake north end, it must be something new for this year.....last year there was no fee for that area......thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by gene goss; 09-22-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gene goss View Post
    Access fee for Crowley Lake north end, it must be something new for this year.....last year there was no fee for that area......thanks for the heads up.
    "I know it's $10 one the road in to the upper part of Crowley also, 6 bays, green banks areas. I think you can get in to the upper part of the lake on the east side for no fee."

Bob

Hey Bob

How is that fee collected ? Permit from the main entrance ???

Ok......i talk to Rich's Sport Center at Mammoth Lakes and he said that there is no fee charge for the North end of Crowley Lake (Greenbanks, sandy point, 6 bays, etc.) at this time of the year.

There is a fee charge at the opening of the season for the first 2 weeks, for the entire Crowley Lake area.

He did say that North Landing, and McGee bay are doing well......lots of mud at McGee to walk through.

Water temp. 65
    Last edited by gene goss; 09-23-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Ok

That makes sense.