Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Steelhead is unofficially here.........

Default Fall Steelhead is unofficially here.........

Hopefully we have seen the end of the triple digit heat in our Valley.

Next 10 day forecast is looking much better.

With the cool air this morning I am calling an unofficial beginning to the Fall Steelhead season.

Time to put your light outfit in your vehicle so you can fish the lower American River before or after work during the week.

**As forum members and local Half-pounder Steelhead junkies we will have to offer to take out Half-pounder newcomers out on the river to get them started off right.

Local board member and local Steelhead commando Mark Krandhold just took a new comer out this weekend and got him started in the right direction. Thanks Mark......

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Do you think they'll make it up to sailor bar with the river flows so low? If so, about what time do you think they'll start showing up? I'm a beginner so any info would help, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jerole1978 View Post
    Do you think they'll make it up to sailor bar with the river flows so low? If so, about what time do you think they'll start showing up? I'm a beginner so any info would help, thanks.
    There are no fish in the river. You don't need to fish it. j/k

I fished the evening a few days ago at Sailor Bar. Did not see any rises during that last hour before it got dark. I'd recommend fishing a few exits below. Overall, you won't know unless you go.

For us locals we can put our gear in our vehicles and go every morning and every evening for the next several months.

Right now the river is around 800 cfs which is too low but if you go out there now you will see what the structure really looks like.

My favorite flow is 2,000 cfs.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yeah I tried sailor bar and negro bar Monday with no luck. I guess just keep on trying and hopefully we'll get some more rain and it will pick up. Hopefully

I would fish, if at all, in the early morning. I haven't checked the water temps, but as warm as it felt wet wading at daybreak last Sunday at Rossmoor, I wouldn't be surprised if it's near or above 70. The afternoons might be lethally warm to fight fish, and there isn't any cold water reserve in Folsom at this point.

Yeah hopefully some cooler weather and rain will come our way and push some fish our way

Water at sunrise last night was 69 degrees, scary warm! Last weekend below the bike bridge was 66. Beautiful night to be casting last night anyhow. Golden dorado in the American...lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	11199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	11198  

Nice shots there Mark

I saw the first big Rubyspot Damselfly hatch last week while striper fishing and there's more squawfish/pike minnows in the river than I've seen in the last 25 years~

Thanks Mark ,I know I haven't caught one in years.. Thought we might of had control of them! This one actually fought well, thought it was a steelhead at first to I caught a glimpse of it. Those damsels sure are beautiful!!