Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevlar Thread

Default Kevlar Thread

Does anyone know of a source of fine Kevlar thread? All I can find are heavier sizes for bass bugs and saltwater flies. Maybe that's all that's available, I don't know. I'm hoping to find something in the 6/0 or 8/0 size.

Question Kevlar Thread....???

That's a very good question. I'd like to find that out myself. I haven't found anything like a fine diameter, Kevlar tying thread from any fly materials supplier or hobby/yardage shops for that matter. Maybe try to contact the manufacturer of Kevlar thread or other thread producer, direct.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Super thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    That's a very good question. I'd like to find that out myself. I haven't found anything like a fine diameter, Kevlar tying thread from any fly materials supplier or hobby/yardage shops for that matter. Maybe try to contact the manufacturer of Kevlar thread or other thread producer, direct.
    Cascade Crest tools has a Nano thread (GSP) that comes in 12/0 and 18/0. I tie with the 12/0 and it's amazing. Almost impossible to break. Can tie down to #18 flies easily. Spirit River has spectra thread too.

Check them out.

After tying with GSP for the past couple years I pretty much trashed the rest of my threads.

Default GSP Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    After tying with GSP for the past couple years I pretty much trashed the rest of my threads.
    Yes Ditto.

Anyone want a deal on a bunch of non GSP thread in many colors let me know. I take a pic of it and show you what I have. I don't think I'll ever find a need to go away from GSP.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

You probably already know this but Kevlar thread is very hard on scissor edges. Best to use a separate pair of scissors for cutting Kevlar, especially if you're tying a lot with it.

Default GSP Thread....

OK, thanks for the tip on GSP threads. I'll give the larger diameters a try.

Questions for DLJeff,.... Isn't GSP hard on scissors??? Isn't it the same stuff lines're made of???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I just picked up a couple spools of 50 denier GSP thread. Haven't used it yet, but looking
    forward to being able to cinch down hard....I always seem to break 8/0 thread when tying
    smaller flies...and the 50 denier is supposedly like 12/0 thickness.

Good stuff that does dull scissors, and does nick/break over sharp edges.....learned that as a climber.....
    And has an issue with cutting through materials when tightened too hard.....
    You can put your foot on the vice and pull though.......

Quote Originally Posted by fishnchip View Post
    Cascade Crest tools has a Nano thread (GSP) that comes in 12/0 and 18/0. I tie with the 12/0 and it's amazing. Almost impossible to break. Can tie down to #18 flies easily. Spirit River has spectra thread too.

Check them out.
    Revision on the Spirit River Super Thread. Just got my order thinking it was "super Thread". It is not! Cascade's thread is the bomb but pricey.