Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Koktuli River, AK

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post

Some friends and I just did a float trip south of you guys. We got home on the 4th. That moon was amazing. We did good on Rainbows using egg "patterns", flesh and mice. We're going back next year.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tfish View Post
    Some friends and I just did a float trip south of you guys. We got home on the 4th. That moon was amazing. We did good on Rainbows using egg "patterns", flesh and mice. We're going back next year.

Tony
    Did you do the Stuyahok River?
    I'm surprised you did good on mice. Rainbows aren't usually looking up this time of the year. Sounds great.

Hot flies for us were purple egg-sucking leech, flesh flies and starlight leech. Stimulators and prince nymphs for grayling. For the record, Lee's "Booby Fly" didn't catch one fish.

We were on the Alagnak. I even got a couple of big Greyling on a mouse.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tfish View Post
    We were on the Alagnak. I even got a couple of big Greyling on a mouse.

Tony
    Very nice, Tony.
    Hard to come back to civilization, isn't it?

A guy I know in Stockton did the Alagnak a few years back. Guide flipped the raft at beginning of trip and he lost all his fishing gear, a lot of the food and some camping gear. Trip turned out to be a mess.
    Did you guys have any close calls, Tony?

Didn't/Don't mean to hijack your thread.

This is our 7th (IIRC) unguided trip. In the last few years I've heard some non flattering things about the Alagnak. We figured if we were going to go now would be good. We only saw five other people and the fishing was really good for us. This was probably the easiest river we've done. I even left our bow saw at home figuring it's been well traveled for years. Our last trip was on the American and the bow saw, machete and rope gear all came in handy there. A friend of ours has a 16 NRS Cat that we are able to borrow. We put in on the Novi (maybe the Stockton guy put in on the other lake. I think it's more of a challenge). The only camps we saw were at the beginning and end of the trip. We made our own camps the rest of the nights. We only set up the Bear fence the first night not knowing how many Bears were around. I think we ended up seeing a dozen of them. We saw over 120 Bears on the American and used the Bear fence every night there.
    The fishing on the Alagnak got much better just below Alaska Adventure Lodge. As for fishing, one spot I got 17 nice Dollies and my son got a good many also. Another day after Breakfast and before lunch I got 6 Rainbows and 25 Geryling on a mouse or BIG dry flies. The biggest Rainbows we got were 25" big and fat with their mouths packed full of flesh. We got lots in the 20" range. No silvers, our pick-up was before we got to them.The weather was good, some sun, some rain and some wind..Alaska. I only ended up with 2 bug bites.

We're gonna go back next year.

John if you have any questions PM me.

Tony

You're not hijacking, Tony. I enjoy reading about others' wilderness experiences.

My objective most of the time is to find rivers with no lodges, no guides, and hopefully few, if any, other people.

You may want to check out the Nayorurun River over in the Togiak Wildlife Preserve. I think you would enjoy it.

This client's first salmon ever - and he got it on a fly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000646.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	11178