Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: October outlook for NorCal rivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R. Pisciotta View Post
    Here is the question that I ask relative to fishing the Truckee this fall:

It is legal, but is it ethical?

For sure temperatures are always a critical factor when fishing the Truckee River. But, water flows in the canyon section are currently flowing at 22% of the historical mean average. Personally, it is the lowest flows I've ever seen having fly-fished the river for many, many years. "Trickle Trickle" indeed. The trout are very exposed and vulnerable. I suggest we fly anglers seriously consider giving the river's trout a break until we see what transpires during this upcoming winter.

Recently, I read a web-site/blog where a local guide says the consensus amongst the locals is to start fishing the river. Well, I can assure you; this specific guide doesn't speak for me and other full-time "locals" I know...

Frank R. Pisciotta
    I couldnt agree more Frank and Dan. The temps are finally getting good but is it ethical...? No. We need to let the fish beef back up and spread back out threw the river. We gotta think about the future and the overall health of the river.

We as guides need to teach these good ethics onto others as well as our clients. IMO its not ethical to be beating up the areas that are just now coming into "shape", temp wise. Flow and water wise the river needs some more umph! THink outside the box. Lakes are turning up now. You have to put in your time. But believe me....some nice fish can be found in our surrounding lakes.

Best October Caddis I've seen in NorCal was on the NF Yuba in early October. Driving down 49 with the fat bodies thumping off the windshield. Fishing was like shooting fish in a barrel -- a hit on every cast.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R. Pisciotta View Post
    Here is the question that I ask relative to fishing the Truckee this fall:

It is legal, but is it ethical?

For sure temperatures are always a critical factor when fishing the Truckee River. But, water flows in the canyon section are currently flowing at 22% of the historical mean average. Personally, it is the lowest flows I've ever seen having fly-fished the river for many, many years. "Trickle Trickle" indeed. The trout are very exposed and vulnerable. I suggest we fly anglers seriously consider giving the river's trout a break until we see what transpires during this upcoming winter.

Recently, I read a web-site/blog where a local guide says the consensus amongst the locals is to start fishing the river. Well, I can assure you; this specific guide doesn't speak for me and other full-time "locals" I know...

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Very well stated Frank,
    Thank you for that.

I’d like to add some of my own thoughts.

Before we go declaring the pursuit of the fish safe again, based solely on the intermittent use of a fifteen dollar stream thermometer. Has anyone here, who has proposed to start fishing the river again, bothered to take dissolved oxygen readings throughout the river. Especially in those slow flowing, deep pools where the fish tend to be ganged up in low water. There’s probably a good reason why respiratory therapy units don’t ask all the patients in the unit to share one oxygen bottle.
    Water temperature alone is not the sole indices of life sustaining habitat.

If we don’t act with knowledge, we’re going to love the Truckee to death.
    Dave Ecklund

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E. View Post
    Very well stated Frank,
    Thank you for that.

I’d like to add some of my own thoughts.

Before we go declaring the pursuit of the fish safe again, based solely on the intermittent use of a fifteen dollar stream thermometer. Has anyone here, who has proposed to start fishing the river again, bothered to take dissolved oxygen readings throughout the river. Especially in those slow flowing, deep pools where the fish tend to be ganged up in low water. There’s probably a good reason why respiratory therapy units don’t ask all the patients in the unit to share one oxygen bottle.
    Water temperature alone is not the sole indices of life sustaining habitat.

If we don’t act with knowledge, we’re going to love the Truckee to death.
    Dave Ecklund
    Lets not kid ourselves. Use common sense. Two leading indicators generally equate to higher oxygen levels. Running water and cold water. We have one. We need another. THis isn't a chemistry course. My fishpond thermometer was more like $20 bucks.

The Truckee is open year around right?
    I'm sure we can all find other places to fish until it starts running again. Its a bummer it can't come soon enough though, especially for the fish.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

Old friend Charlie Fullerton was head of the CA DF&G some years ago.

He said around September 1st, every year, we would have some cooling in the high country in California.

October should be good in streams with water.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    rossflyguy: i remember seeing legions of o caddis cases on the upper sac years ago in july. Went back in the fall and nothing doing. in fact i have never witnessed much if any o caddis action in the fall despite having nymphs and dries in my flybox that i can measure in pounds. maybe it is a swift and intense hatch that you just need to time perfectly?
    If it's one big hatch that would be something to see with the amount of October caddis that I seen all over the river bed. It'd be a huge feeding frenzy. Definitely something the locals wouldn't share.

according to ted fay shop, the upper sac trout don't readily key-in on the adult october caddis as they spend relatively little time on the water surface, fluttering around to lay eggs. also, the water clarity makes fooling the fish more challenging with large stimmies. on the mccloud the action is apparently a little better with dries due to reduced water clarity. i have also had very little luck with o caddis nymphs despite the large quantities of naturals in the water.

on another note, its sounds like the isonychia's may have been flushed-out of the pit system due to high flows. i would be curious to know if anyone has had any recent experience with this on the pit. i remember having good success with isonychia's prior to the new flow regimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    according to ted fay shop, the upper sac trout don't readily key-in on the adult october caddis as they spend relatively little time on the water surface, fluttering around to lay eggs. also, the water clarity makes fooling the fish more challenging with large stimmies. on the mccloud the action is apparently a little better with dries due to reduced water clarity. i have also had very little luck with o caddis nymphs despite the large quantities of naturals in the water.

on another note, its sounds like the isonychia's may have been flushed-out of the pit system due to high flows. i would be curious to know if anyone has had any recent experience with this on the pit. i remember having good success with isonychia's prior to the new flow regimes.
    The McCloud is the best in the state for the October Caddis hatch, I use to go for a week every October until my business skyrocketed. The OC actually do spend some time on the water, especially on days with a light snowfall. This may help some of you understand the big bug a little more; http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blo...er-caddis.html

As for the Isonychia mayfly, the artificial white water flows on the North Fork Feather totally wiped them out, there are very few left, and not in the numbers like in the past. Fishing the nymph, or the spinner is the only way to go. The dun is rarely on the water except for very windy days wen they get blown off the rocks, and into the water.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.