Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Fish or not... That is the ?- Truckee

Default To Fish or not... That is the ?- Truckee

Question for the board.... I've been off the truckee since end of May. I think 99% of us have which is great. It has helped to preserve this fishery. Fall is fast approaching and flows are up into the lower 100's in the canyon with water temps 57-58 mid morning. Low was 33 today in Truckee. I'm not talking about NV side. That is another story. At what point do you fish it again? I'm probably going to wait until flows are a little more and daytime temps are in the low 70's and nights are in the 30's consistently.

Just curious what others think. I know one thing. The break has opened my eyes up to some awesome high elevation lake fishing.

Be safe and have fun. I'm bummed I will miss the LT Trout Unlimited #103 restoration this weekend. To those helping you guys are awesome.

My friend and veteran Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon has lived in Dunsmuir for many decades.

He grew up in south Sacramento right next to my gramma's home.

Well, after the big chemical spill on the Upper Sac in 1991 Fred was really effected.

He guided the Upper Sac and lower McCloud rivers in the summer and the lower Sac in the fall, winter and spring.

So what to do when the river behind your house has been poisoned?

Fred started guiding on the Pit River which was not only good for him, but was really great for his clientele.

Naturally Fred had fished the Pit River but this gave him a real in depth knowledge of this wonderful river.

After the Upper Sac recovered Fred slowed down on his Pit River guiding and now with the high flows on the Pit most guides have given up on it.

Fred does fish the Pit River today for the CA DF&W with a wet suit and fly rod catching around 70 fish a day for a census.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    My friend and veteran Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon has lived in Dunsmuir for many decades.

He grew up in south Sacramento right next to my gramma's home.

Well, after the big chemical spill on the Upper Sac in 1991 Fred was really effected.

He guided the Upper Sac and lower McCloud rivers in the summer and the lower Sac in the fall, winter and spring.

So what to do when the river behind your house has been poisoned?

Fred started guiding on the Pit River which was not only good for him, but was really great for his clientele.

Naturally Fred had fished the Pit River but this gave him a real in depth knowledge of this wonderful river.

After the Upper Sac recovered Fred slowed down on his Pit River guiding and now with the high flows on the Pit most guides have given up on it.

Fred does fish the Pit River today for the CA DF&W with a wet suit and fly rod catching around 70 fish a day for a census.

The upper sac after that spill was basically cleaned out. The destruction was unbelievable. Entire ecosystem wiped out. This drought isn't even remotely close to that. I've moved on and fished other waters as well. We all have. The time to return to the truckee isn't far away. Its at what point do you make that call?

I think the river needs more water to fish it with ethics and care for the fish.
    Yes the river is just now coming into shape in some areas. So let the fish get a rest and regain their strength.
    Dont jump on em right away. Give em a break.

Quote Originally Posted by gangster View Post
    I think the river needs more water to fish it with ethics and care for the fish.
    Yes the river is just now coming into shape in some areas. So let the fish get a rest and regain their strength.
    Dont jump on em right away. Give em a break.

Gangster is spot on. If you've found success in the high alpine lakes stick with that for now. I'd wait until late September at the absolute earliest, and possibly October just to be on the safe side. What's the harm in just leaving the Truckee alone for a while longer? You risk more by jumping on it too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Alosa View Post
    Gangster is spot on. If you've found success in the high alpine lakes stick with that for now. I'd wait until late September at the absolute earliest, and possibly October just to be on the safe side. What's the harm in just leaving the Truckee alone for a while longer? You risk more by jumping on it too early.

You both are right. Thank you for that. I'm going to wait until the Fall and hopefully we will see cooler weather, some rain, and maybe releases from Independence or Donner. I know one thing. Fall is a great time to fish the truckee plus some of those 10k + lakes start to see some crazy weather like snow and sleet.

October or as soon as the water get down in the 60s?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I took water temp readings yesterday on truckee down by Floriston. 7am - 58 degrees. Definetely seems the worse of summer is over but flows are still an anemic 110 CFS. I personally feel the CA section survived most of the drought. I guess time will tell once the fishing starts again assuming we get water. Keep hitting them 10k foot lakes!

Although I'm surrounded by water of the famous type....I miss the Truckee......
    Had heard that would be the case before I moved....and it's true.....
    Glad to hear folks are taking care of her while I'm gone.
    Reconnaissance at low water, will help you when the flows do return, and they will return.....
    I might be tempted to walk the water with a fly that has the bend broken off.....just to practice my cast and drift of course....
    Maybe a hopper?
    Thanks for the reports Devine, it gives me a long distance fishing fix..
    Most reports are about how many/big fish there are, what fly, and where you stood, I want to know about the river.....
    Clarity, Temp, flows and especially.....the bugs.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 08-29-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Little Known fact...The Upper Sac is a strong River...It was actually Fishing One month after the Spill...