Thread: Artic Grayling

Default Artic Grayling

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I heard they planted Artic Grayling into some lakes in the Sierras. Is there any truth to this? And if so, does anybody know into which lakes they were planted?

Thanks

Yes. In the distant past (30+ yrs ago) I caught several Grayling in Woods Lake near Caples. Not sure if any have been introduced in the area since then.

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com...ribution-maps/

Not sure how old but this article is but it mentions 26 lakes in CA.

CA D.F.& W. might have some info?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'm a big grayling fan. I don't think they get enough credit, I suspect because they are often caught on trips where char, rainbows and different species of salmon are in the mix. Grayling are beautiful, very good fighters, and willing participants in our sport. Good eating, too, if done right.
    In about 14 days I'll be introducing some clients to grayling. A couple of the folks have no real fly fishing experience. I can't think of a better species to get them started.

They are cool fish.

Interesting link, Bill!

I've sniffed around this issue and believe there are no more pops in ca. Last one I'm told was lobdell reservoir in the sweet waters but they are no longer. From my research, the closest ones are in the rubies, and then the uintas

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    I've sniffed around this issue and believe there are no more pops in ca. Last one I'm told was lobdell reservoir in the sweet waters but they are no longer. From my research, the closest ones are in the rubies, and then the uintas
    More good intel! Thanks, John.

Makes sense as out of basin fish seem to be in less favor these days throughout the West coast.

I caught some in Lobdell back in 1988. They were tiny. Went back in 1992 and the drought back then had put the nail in the coffin. I called CA DFG about 10 years ago on this subject and Curtis confirmed Lobdell was the last watershed in CA where Arctic Grayling existed and they were done by early 1990's. He also said then the rumors that some were seen in Jackson Meadows Res. sometime ago were unfounded and probably angler error just trying to make a good story since some were planted in the region back as early as the 1960s. It's amazing Arctic Grayling lasted as long as they did in CA considering this is a species that mostly evolved north of the 45th Parallel (exceptions in MT and MI) and requires very cold water in order to have a sustaining population. Desert Creek must have kept them going for a time.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

My last graylings were in Middle Lindsay lake near Fuller Lake way back in 1977. The fish were 11-14 inches.