Thread: Bats - any danger?

Default Bats - any danger?

Hi all,

I've noticed a few folks say things like "watch out for the bats at night".

I've seen bats pretty regularly at dusk when fishing but never concerned me.

But having moved to cal 9 years ago I'm now wondering if I've been little careless.

Are they a danger and do you take steps to avoid them.

I've beenretty paranoid about snakes but gung ho on bat front. I'd better get clued up before next trip otherwise if my wife finds out I'll get it on the neck

Thanks for any info.

Steve

From Wikipedia:

In the United States, bats typically constitute around a quarter of reported cases of rabies in wild animals. However, their bites account for the vast majority of cases of rabies in humans.[108] Of the 36 cases of domestically acquired rabies recorded in the country in 1995–2010, two were caused by dog bites and four patients were infected by receiving transplants from an organ donor who had previously died of rabies. All other cases were caused by bat bites.[109] Rabies is considered fully preventable if the patient is administered a vaccine prior to the onset of symptoms. However, unlike raccoon or skunk bites, bat bites may go ignored or unnoticed and hence untreated. Rabid bats are broadly distributed throughout the United States; in 2008–2010, cases were reported in every state except Alaska and Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.
    I've never had a problem with them, if you hook one maybe let it have your fly instead of trying to unbutton him and getting bit.

John yeah think that would be smart move. Cheers

So for the definitive word, there are experts on this forum who will weigh in.

In the meantime, I'm going to guess/say bats can carry several diseases, so handling them is probably not a good idea. But bats don't attack humans, as far as I know. I have caught a few over the years on a fly, the first on the Truckee back in the "60s, had a friend catch a memorable one on the Fall River.

Personally, I don't worry about them. But remember this: You can take a bat out of the cave, but you can't take the cave out of the bat.

Steve, the answer to your question would be no. You don't need to avoid them and they pose no threat. As a matter of fact if you can get a good look at one you'll be quite impressed at how attractive they are. They don't ever get caught up in hair, that's just some weird urban legend. I've had the honor of these wee mammals flying between me and my campfire many times, they're only after bugs, mostly mosquitos in the Sierras. You cant find fault with that. I consider bats an extra bonus on any trip.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Question Bats....

I like 'em. I've read that Bats can carry Rabies but it's an exception. For some interesting video on Bats try the Batzilla Community on Facebook. Fun Stuff....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

fwiw... we have mounted a few "bat houses" around in the woods surrounding our home in the hopes of attracting a few more. Those little guys eat a lot of mosquitos. Sadly we have far, far more mosquitos than bats around our home. I don't think the bats were overly impressed with the accommodations on offer.

I suppose there's "danger" to anything, but if I were trying to assess what to be concerned with I think I'd be more concerned with a life too protected, sedate, and sterile than anything else. Probably a lot more cause to be cautious and concerned about tripping and falling than being bitten by bats.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Mike O Guest

Bats are rabies carriers, and can get sick from it. If you see a bat out roosting during the day, stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Steve, the answer to your question would be no. You don't need to avoid them and they pose no threat. As a matter of fact if you can get a good look at one you'll be quite impressed at how attractive they are. They don't ever get caught up in hair, that's just some weird urban legend. I've had the honor of these wee mammals flying between me and my campfire many times, they're only after bugs, mostly mosquitos in the Sierras. You cant find fault with that. I consider bats an extra bonus on any trip.
    I'm 100% with you on bats! They're a marvel of nature, anytime I see one I call it a good day.
    Of course, we're not in certain parts of Eastern Europe where . . . well, you know.

Thanks everyone .

You cant take the cave out of the bat. Nicely done sir.