Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red-Truck fly Rod's & reels

Default Red-Truck fly Rod's & reels

Hi folks,
    I had a chance to fish with a guide provided “red-truck” fly rod and reel combination the other day on the American for stripers and really liked the feel of it. It was a 10 foot 7 weight with a 26 foot sink tip line and we were tossing and stripping in Clousers. Here is a link to a web site I found that carries the “red truck” rods and reels.

http://www.lelandfly.com/Red-Truck-Fly-Rods/

This web site contained some nice positive video’s reviewing and describing this and some other red-truck rods and combinations as well. This particular combination I fished with was touted as an outstanding nymphing outfit and I can imagine it would be. It worked well for me casting our clouser streamers as well. Until this opportunity to use this outfit I had never even heard of Red-Truck fly rods and figure they must be relatively new.

Does anybody out there own one of these rods an/or have anything to share with me about the rods? Right now I am about ready to put in an order for this outfit and add to my collection.

Thanks for any feedback.

Bill

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10995[/ATTACH

By the way the striper fishing was pretty slow, two of us hooked about a half dozen small fish floating from Grist Mill to Howe Avenue, half day, still nice to get out on the water
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	too many fly rods.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	10995  
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

Default Red Truck Rods....

Bill,.... Here's a vote for making an order now. You have first hand experience with the Red Truck Rod and it sounds like you liked it. If you learned anything additional from the guide, you probably won't find out much more from people on a second hand basis. Buy it and enjoy....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, that is great advice and I believe I will add this one to my collection. It really fills a hole for me between my 6 and 8 weights and as good as it was for casting my sink tip shooting head I just know its length at 10 feet will make it a great nymphing rod as well. I suspect it is just a fairly new line of equipment and probably not many even on this board would be familiar with it.

Thanks again!
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

The only problem with custom rods or home made rods or imported "shop rods" is down the road, who will warranty them if they break?

If these shops or rod builders go out of business then nobody will stand behind these rods.

There are a few long term reputable custom rod builders like Gary Anderson of Anderson Custom
    Rods and Jim Clarkston of Raptor Rods who will warranty their rods.

If the rods are on close out prices then that is different. It is worth the risk.....

If you are spending much money for a good fly rod I would stay with companies that have been around a while and hopefully will be there when you break it.

Many guides, especially new ones, will use what ever rods that companies will give them free.

ost of the top guides will be using Sage which are not free but at a good price to top guides.

We have had many people over the years come in with fly rods that not only don't have anyone to warranty them, you can't even get parts to fix them. Then they are not too happy......

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, while the warranty issue is definitely something to consider, I own a couple Red Truck rods (a spey and a switch) and few of their reels, and I love the feel of them too. They have served me well over quite a few hours on the river with no problems. Since they are modestly priced (as far as fly rods go), my thinking was to just buy what I liked using and what felt good. What happens 10 years from now is a worry for another day.

Steve

Default Down the Road....

Amen!!! Hey Bill, you found a good rod that you like, congrats!! Given the price point of Redtruck rods, the warranty is a secondary consideration unless you plan on breaking or damaging the rod anytime soon. As to finding parts to build/rebuild a rod, DIY, quality reel seats, grips and guides are still available for those who look for them and if you ever want/need to rebuild that rod thru another person, there're a couple of people in this area who do that line of work.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Bill,
    Have not fished the Red Truck line from Leland but have dealt with some of their staff. They were very knowledgeable and nice guys to boot. Looked at their on-line store and the $299 price seemed to be a winner.

I think Bill Kiene is right. Stick with the well known brands. You can buy a TFO pro 2 for $200. You could then spend a few more bucks on a nice reel with a warranty like a Galvan T6 or T8. Leland's is ok, but may not be around when you break that rod or reel. Toby the TFO rep will replace that rod if it breaks. TFO can't repair, so most likely you will receive a brand new rod with a chance to upgrade… Stick with name brands!!!

I think this whole post is a little insulting to Bill and the Kiene's Shop. You guys are talking up the shops competition and slapping it right in Bill's face.

Have some respect, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I agree with Tony, put it on Lelands blog if they have one.
    The warranty issue is something that has bothered me for some time. I have been buying Sage products since the late 80's. I have watched the price of using the warranty go up steadily for some time. I had to pay $75. on my last Sage warranty issue. I feel this is a bit excessive considering when I purchased the rods, they had a lifetime warranty. I now look at other brands and the fine print of the warranty much more closely. I think their are many great rods that have better warrantys that don't cost as much to fix. Anybody else feel that $75. to fix a "lifetime" rod is a bit much? I remember when I just shipped a rod to them, they shipped it back and that was it. I am now using other brands such as Orvis, Winston, and Reddington/Sage, and others. I am no longer loyal to the brand, but loyal to Kienes.