Thread: Lower Sac Stripers, Where to go?

Default Lower Sac Stripers, Where to go?

Hey Gents,

I am looking to expand my Striper quest from the AR for the rest of July and August. It was suggested I try the Lower Sac river but I have no idea where to go and it's a lot of water to cover. Nights Landing, Colusa, Butte City? So much area. Any suggestions and input would be great. Also I run a Jet Sled so will be fishing out of the boat.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,

Right now stripers in the area you mentioned are few and far between. I fish this water regularly and it been slow and low and very warm as to temperature. Last outing here it was 78 degrees and holding. Most fish are dinks with an occasional surprise but for the most part it's the slowest time of year to fish here.

Now having said that, a little farther up river it has been really good,,,,,,,, IF,,,,,,, you know what you're doing and know the water. Above Butte City,,Chico,,Los Molinas area things have been going good. But, like anywhere else, you need to know the water. And the best way to get acquainted with new water is to hire a guide and learn from them while enjoying a few days actually fishing and not stumbling around with trial and error locations.

My first suggestion would be to get ahold of either Hogan Brown or Ryan Johnson. Both are excellent guides that know the area well and both are targeting stripers right now.

Give them a call, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Default Right On Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Frank,

Right now stripers in the area you mentioned are few and far between. I fish this water regularly and it been slow and low and very warm as to temperature. Last outing here it was 78 degrees and holding. Most fish are dinks with an occasional surprise but for the most part it's the slowest time of year to fish here.

Now having said that, a little farther up river it has been really good,,,,,,,, IF,,,,,,, you know what you're doing and know the water. Above Butte City,,Chico,,Los Molinas area things have been going good. But, like anywhere else, you need to know the water. And the best way to get acquainted with new water is to hire a guide and learn from them while enjoying a few days actually fishing and not stumbling around with trial and error locations.

My first suggestion would be to get ahold of either Hogan Brown or Ryan Johnson. Both are excellent guides that know the area well and both are targeting stripers right now.

Give them a call, Tony
    I have been running a boat on the sac for years - but when I going fishing - fishing I want Hogan, Ryan, Tim Fox or Mac Noble at the stirring wheel. They know the river better than I will ever and they know how to fly fish it. Great guides - but on top of that great friends!

Look at there half days or evening fishing for a price break!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Excellent advice guys, thank you!