Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Trip Report: Montana

Default Fishing Trip Report: Montana

Since I am professionally unemployed during the summer, it gives me a lot of time to go on fishing trips, like the one I recently took to Montana. One place that I have always wanted to go there was the South Fork of the Flathead in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I have heard really great things about it: great fishing, wonderful scenery and absolutely wild and pristine. However, the trouble is access. It is a HUGE wilderness area, 1.5 million acres and that doesn’t count the National Forest land to the north, around Hungry Horse Reservoir. The drive into the trailhead is 54 miles on a windy dirt road, THEN you start hiking! Remote with a capital “R.”

I know of local packers that will take you in there, or other outfitters which will float you down the river, set up your tents, cook your food, etc. However, I don’t have the thousands of dollars it takes to do those kinds of trips, so I planned my own “poor man’s” trip to The Bob, which involved backpacking in from the Meadow Creek trailhead and getting as deep into the wilderness as possible and then fishing the river in any accessible spots. Well, it worked out for the most part, I was able to get deep into the wilderness, I did catch a lot of trout, but the access to the river can be pretty limited, especially in the first ten miles when coming in from the north.

Yeah, that’s a portion of the trail and WAY down there on the bottom left, about a thousand feet straight down, is the river.

The scenery couldn’t be beat

There was plenty of wildlife

And “calling cards” from larger wildlife, but I didn’t see in person

How was the fishing? Outstanding! This was a typical Westslope Cutt that you could catch. Not huge, but a fish like that on every few casts using a big, bushy dry fly.

Sometimes they were bigger too, like this nice 17 incher.

The accommodations were fine. Spartan and not exactly spacious, but they kept the bugs and rain out.

After Black Bear Creek, the river widened a bit, so access was easier.

However, I was also there in hopes of getting a big bull trout, which reside in big emerald pools like this one.

As much as I tried, I didn’t tie into a bull, but I didn’t feel too bad, as I talked to a couple of local guys that spent two weeks doing a slow and methodical float down the length of the river and they didn’t get one either.

After hanging out down there for almost a week, I went back to civilization, re-grouped and then went and fished some other well-known streams in Montana; places like Rock Creek, The NF of the Blackfoot and the Forks and main stem of the Bitterroot (before hoot owl kicked in).

What were they like? Here are a few samples:

In addition to fishing a lot, I went to Darby’s Logger Days and saw some timber sports competition. Interesting stuff! I had no idea some of that stuff even existed.

Additionally, there were some amazing sunsets…

…that made me (and the trout) smile…at least it just looks like it…

Anyhow, that’s an overview of the trip. I hope you enjoy.

Cheers,

--Fly Guy Dave
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 07-22-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Looks like a great trip!

Sorry about the bull trout. Some of the lakes around there have cutts, lake trout and bulls.

Thanks for the great pics,

I've often thought about the Bob Marshall and what a great trip it would be. Looks like you've figured out a good way to do it on a shoestring budget. You did this trip solo, right? I think I'd be a little intimidated by that and would want at least one (if not two) friends to come along with me. If nothing else than for the companionship and to have the experiences and share the memories together. Great report - I'm jealous.

I love that kind of trip. I've done the Middle Fork of the Flathead backpacking and it was great. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Alosa View Post
    You did this trip solo, right? I think I'd be a little intimidated by that and would want at least one (if not two) friends to come along with me. If nothing else than for the companionship and to have the experiences and share the memories together.
    Yeah, I was solo on this trip. Honestly, I wouldn't mind going with a friend or two, but I've found its easier to go solo on most of my fishing trips. No one to back out of the trip at the last minute, no personality conflicts, and you can go where you want to, when you want to. True, it can get kind of lonely at times, but the benefits outweigh the negatives.
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 07-22-2015 at 08:46 AM.

I do hope you bring along a PLB and/or a sat phone.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    I do hope you bring along a PLB and/or a sat phone.
    To be honest, I didn't. However, on all trips like this I always fill out all of this info http://reconn.org/index.html and leave a copy with my wife. I also tell her the exact GPS coordinates where I camp and I stick to that. I told her to give me five to six days and if she didn't hear from me, to call the local ranger station, the phone numbers of which I always provide. Even then, with this trip, I was often near the trail, which had USFS mule pack trains on it now and then and I figured that there might be groups of rafters that would float by now and then. Either way, I figured that I could get help if I really needed it. I don't mind some risk, but it is carefully calculated risk and I always try and anticipate the worst case scenario and come up with a plan to deal with it. If it's too much risk, I just won't do it. Still, that slight element of danger does have some appeal. I would wager you have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy (Dave) View Post
    Still, that slight element of danger does have some appeal. I would wager you have an idea of what I'm talking about.
    No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    No comment.
    Fair enough.

I love solo trips. My buddy Alex and I fish well together because we do what we want ha. It is surely nice to have someone to share the campfire and a whiskey with though