Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High alpine lake, brook trout.

We were there midweek so not many folks camping. Some people coming up for the day and a few PCT through hikers every day. Over all not many people for August.

You will definitely need a high clearance vehicle to get in there and some minor wheeling skills. Watch out for early snow late Sept-October, Leavitt is at 9500'. No camp fires allowed right now. It can be windy, be prepared with a good tent and bring your own shade.

Fish seem to be eating mostly blown in bugs. Best fly was a dark hopper. Loads of them flying around. Random hits on one of Burks aggravators while paddling across the lake.

Tight lines

Dick White
    Tahoma Meadows B&B
    Tahoma CA

Just noticed this thread, so a little late to the party...

Probably the best brookie fishery in the west is the Deschutes upstream of Crane Prairie.. Neither Alpine nor a lake (although some pools are big enough to float tube), but thousands of brooks to 8 pounds come up out of the lake in the summer, and you can sight fish them.

Oregon just changed the regs to no limits on both browns and brookies in most waters, so this fantastic fisheries' days are probably numbered...

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    Just noticed this thread, so a little late to the party...

Probably the best brookie fishery in the west is the Deschutes upstream of Crane Prairie.. Neither Alpine nor a lake (although some pools are big enough to float tube), but thousands of brooks to 8 pounds come up out of the lake in the summer, and you can sight fish them.

Oregon just changed the regs to no limits on both browns and brookies in most waters, so this fantastic fisheries' days are probably numbered...
    Bummer on the no limit regs. BUt better than the gill netting and weir trapping they have been doing to some of our waters to erradicate browns and bows to introduce the native cutts. So dumb!

Showers has LCT's that are pretty willing to take a fly. It's also a great and easy overnight.

Dick White
    Tahoma CA

Default Brookie update - Ruby Mtns Nevada

Just got back from the Ruby Mtns, east of Elko Nevada. Fished both the Lamoille Canyon, Angel Lake and Ruby Valley. All great brook and tiger (brook x Brown) trout options. Largest tigers were 18". Lamoille Lake has tons of brookies willing to take dries all day long. Angel Lake was full of Tigers and Bows to 18", again all on dries from shore, no float tube needed. The Ruby NWR collection ditch fishes like a spring creek with crystal clear water and spooky but willing fish.

Plus the fall color was insane.

Dick White
    Tahoma CA

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch the barb View Post
    Hi I'm brand new to this forum, and I am looking to find some high lakes with good size brook trout that I can hike too. If anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch the barb View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the advice! Some great places to try out. I finally made it to one on Thursday and Friday. Went to kirman and got into a lot of nice brookies and cutthroats. Had a blast. Attachment 11280 Attachment 11281
    Hey I saw you there. Was a bit crowded for midweek. Apparently its been getting pounded this year with the drought and limited options. Internet is a double edged sword it seems. Good fishing gets crowded fast and secret places don't seem to last. Thankfully people seem to explore less and rely on the internet more, so oftentimes fisheries go out of vogue and off the radar. Unfortunately pressure on certain waters gets compressed more. It's a pandoras box it seems. Ciest la vie. How'd your buddy with the spinning rod do?
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan LeCount View Post
    Hey I saw you there. Was a bit crowded for midweek. Apparently its been getting pounded this year with the drought and limited options. Internet is a double edged sword it seems. Good fishing gets crowded fast and secret places don't seem to last. Thankfully people seem to explore less and rely on the internet more, so oftentimes fisheries go out of vogue and off the radar. Unfortunately pressure on certain waters gets compressed more. It's a pandoras box it seems. Ciest la vie. How'd your buddy with the spinning rod do?
    yeah It was pretty crowded. He did okay got one brookie and one cutthroat the first day and that was it. Were you out there on Thursday?

Yessir, we talked a bit. I offered to take a shot of you and your buddy there together. I was there with the young lady.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Oh yeah I know who you are. Right on! It was good to meet you out there. Hopefully see you around fishing sometime!